Arthur L. Serotte
|Sport:||Distinguished Alumni Award - Coaching|
Distinguished Alumni Award
EdB 1962, EdM 1966
- Art is one of the most successful coaches in the history of Buffalo public high school competition, and equally successful as a teacher, motivator, and counselor for his students at a school considered, at that time, one of the most challenging in the system.
- After an impressive tenure as a junior varsity basketball and softball coach at Woodlawn Junior High School - championships were won in both sports - he was named the football coach at Grover Cleveland High School in 1964 - at the age of 24, the youngest high school coach ever in the Buffalo public schools system.
- When he left the sidelines in 1992, the Grover Cleveland Presidents had captured 12 Harvard Cup football championships, had a 28 game winning streak along the way in the 1970s and collected 160 victories, which at the time was 10th among all high school football coaches in WNY.
- Amazingly, Art also coached varsity basketball concurrently with football, beginning in 1978, and that 1st season produced a 16-4 record, as well as a Section VI title; the Presidents went on to win more than 240 games.
- 9 other sectional titles followed and Grover Cleveland went on to win 3 outright Buffalo Schools' Yale Cup basketball championships and were co-champions twice.