Robert A. Smolinski
|Sport:||Russell J. Gugino Award|
Russell J. Gugino Award
- Extremely generous in their support of UB, and endlessly giving of their time and effort to bolster and ensure the success of the university's athletic teams, its student-athletes, and the growth of the program.
- Dr. Smolinski, an orthopedic surgeon and associate professor of clinical orthopedics at UB, is the lead physician on UB's Sports Medicine staff and is a member of the Medical School's Admissions Committee, its Faculty Council and the UB Faculty Senate.
- Dr. Fosket, a radiologist, and her husband were named co-recipients of the Amherst Chamber of Commerce's UB Believers Award in 2009.
- Together, the 2 spearheaded the recruitment of multiple donors to raise the funds necessary to renovate the athletic training room - now the Michael F. Rielly Athletic Training Center, named for the University's long-time head trainer and UB Fall of Famer - and provide exam rooms, offices, treatment and rehabilitation areas in the facility inside Alumni Arena.
- The football team, the annual athletic golf outing, the athletic scholarship fund and the renovated and expanded student-athlete academic training center have all benefited from the couple's' generosity as well.
- Lifetime members of the UB Alumni Association, the pair has also supported UB in other areas, including Medical School, the Center for the Arts, and radio station WBFO.