WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team remained undefeated in Mid-American Conference play with a 6-1 victory on Friday at the Miller Tennis Center. The victory clinched at least a share of the MAC regular season title and assured the Bulls of the top seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament.
Playing at home for the first time in over two months, the Bulls (11-5, 6-0 MAC) had a boisterous crowd that helped lead them to victory. It began early as the Bulls claimed the doubles point. At first doubles Hao Sheng Koay and Filip Grbic had no problem in their match, dispatching their opponent, 6-0. After the Cardinals won at two, the Bulls picked up a victory at three as Ethan Nittolo and Tony Miller won 6-3 to take the 1-0 lead.
The Bulls won five of the six matches at singles beginning with Nittolo at six as he dropped just two games in a 6-1, 6-1 victory. Grbic then won at three 7-6 (1), 6-0 and the Bulls clinched the match at five as junior Petr Vodak won, 6-3, 6-3.
Freshman Villhelm Fridell came away with a 6-4, 6-3 victory at fourth singles and then Vidit Vaghela won at second singles with a 6-3, 5-7, 10-1 victory. Koay overcame a first-set loss at one to force a third-set super tiebreaker before falling, 10-5.
The Bulls will close out the regular season on Sunday morning when they host Northern Illinois at 10:00am. A win will assure the Bulls of the outright MAC Title and a perfect conference regular season. UB will also be honoring its one senior, Tony Miller, before the match.
- Hao Sheng Koay/Filip Grbic (UB) def. Lucas Anderson/Andrew Stutz (BSU), 6-0
- Conner Anderson/Tom Carney (BSU) def. Villhelm Fridell/Petr Vodak (UB), 6-3
- Ethan Nittolo/Tony Miller (UB) def. Marko Guzina/Nemanja Guzina (BSU), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
- Lucas Anderson (BSU) def. Hao Sheng Koay (UB), 6-3, 3-6, 10-5
- Vidit Vaghela (UB) def. Andrew Stutz (BSU), 6-3, 5-7, 10-1
- Filip Grbic (UB) def. Marko Guzina (BSU), 7-6 (1), 6-0
- Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Nemanja Guzina (BSU), 6-4, 6-3
- Petr Vodak (UB) def. Patrick Downs (BSU), 6-3, 6-3
- Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Conner Anderson (BSU), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,3,5,4,2,1