HANOVER, NH – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team picked up their first dual win of the season on Sunday as the Bulls defeated St. John's for the first time in program history, 4-3. The match took place in Hanover, NH as UB improves to 1-2 on the year.
The Bulls won four of the six matches in singles, winning all four of those in straight sets. Sophomore Hao Sheng Koay won at first singles, 6-2, 6-3, while junior Ethan Nittolo came away with a 6-3, 7-5 victory at three.
Senior Vidit Vaghela won his match at fourth singles, 6-4, 6-3, and newcomer Matt Johnson scored a 7-5, 6-1 win at sixth singles for his first career singles victory.
"This weekend was a good learning experience for us," said head coach Lee Nickell. "Thankfully it culminated with us fighting through injuries to get our first ever win over St. John's. We have to get healthy, but this team is definitely trending in the right direction."
The Bulls will be back in action next Saturday when they travel to Penn State to face the Nittany Lions.
- Luka Sucevic/ Dusan Vukicevic (SJU) def. Ethan Nittolo/Hao Sheng Koay (UB), 7-5
- Vidit Vaghela/Petr Vodak (UB) def. Ognjen Trejgut/Alex Roszkowski (SJU), 6-1
- Alan Nunez Aguilera/Igor Maslov (SJU) def. Matt Johnson/Villhelm Fridell (UB), 6-2
- Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Luka Sucevic (SJU), 6-2, 6-3
- Alan Nunez Aguilera (SJU) def. Petr Vodak (UB), 6-7, 7-5, 10-6
- Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Dusan Vukiceic (SJU), 6-3, 7-5
- Vidit Vaghela (UB) def. Igor Maslov (SJU), 6-4, 6-3
- Ognjen Trejgut (SJU) def. Nickolas Frisk (UB), 6-4, 6-3
- Matt Johnson (UB) def. Alex Roszkowski (SJU), 7-5, 6-1