STATE COLLEGE, PA – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at Penn State on Saturday afternoon.
UB had a shot in doubles to take the early lead, but fell just short. After losing at third doubles, the Bulls won at two as Ethan Nittolo and Villhelm Fridell came away with a 7-6 win. The doubles point came down to first doubles where UB had a match point, but Penn State ultimately won in a tiebreaker.
Penn State won all six matches in singles, including four of those in straight sets. Sophomore Hao Sheng Koay forced a third set at one and senior Vidit Vaghela won his first set and played a three-set match at four.
"Today wasn't the result we wanted, but I am pleased with the fight of this team," said head coach Lee Nickell. "We aren't healthy right now and the affects this result, but we still had a match point in doubles and close matches all around. I am excited to get Nickolas Frisk back in the lineup next week and we will be ready for Army on Saturday."
The Bulls will travel to West Point for their meeting with Army next Saturday.
1. Constant De La Basse (PSU) def. Hao Sheng Koay (BUF) 7-5, 5-7, 6-1
2. Christian Lakoseljac (PSU) def. Ethan Nittolo (BUF) 7-5, 6-4
3. Christos Antonopoulo (PSU) def. Petr Vodak (BUF) 7-5, 7-6
4. Alp Sentay (PSU) def. Vidit Vaghela (BUF) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
5. Gabriel Nemeth (PSU) def. Matthew Johnson (BUF) 6-3, 7-6
6. Ben Lieb (PSU) def. Konstantinos Tsakiri (BUF) 6-1, 6-2