WEST POINT, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team began their weekend at West Point on a high note Saturday afternoon as the Bulls swept UConn, 7-0. The win was Buffalo's second of the season.
UB began the match by winning the doubles point with victories at first and second doubles, both by 6-3 margins. Seniors Vidit Vaghela and Petr Vodak won at first doubles, while sophomore Hao Sheng Koay and junior Ethan Nittolo won at two.
Buffalo won all six matches in singles, including five of those in straight sets. UB got a pair of wins from its newcomers as Nickolas Frisk won at fifth singles, 6-1, 7-5, and Matthew Johnson won at sixth singles, 6-0, 6-1.
Koay won in three sets at first singles, 6-1, 4-6, 10-5, while Nittolo came away with a 6-2, 6-2 win at second singles. Vodak won at three, 6-0, 6-3, and Vaghela won in straight sets at four, 6-3, 6-4.
The Bulls will play a pair of matches tomorrow, facing Army at 9am and Princeton at 3pm.
1. Hao Sheng Koay (BUFF) def. Yili Zheng (UCONN) 6-1, 4-6, 10-5
2. Ethan Nittolo (BUFF) def. Hank Hill (UCONN) 6-2, 6-2
3. Petr Vodak (BUFF) def. Jack McLister (UCONN) 6-0, 6-3
4. Vidit Vaghela (BUFF) def. Justin Warren (UCONN) 6-3, 6-4
5. Nickolas Frisk (BUFF) def. Jonathan Edwards (UCONN) 6-1, 7-5
6. Matthew Johnson (BUFF) def. Evan Powell (UCONN) 6-0, 6-1