WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – Playing in front of the home crowd for the first time this season, the University at Buffalo men's tennis team came away with a dominating 6-1 victory over Duquesne at the Miller Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
It began in doubles as the Bulls won all three matches by an identical 6-2 score. Seniors Petr Vodak and Vidit Vaghela won at first doubles, while Hao Sheng Koay and Ethan Nittolo scored a win at second doubles. Sophomore Villhelm Fridell and freshman Matthew Johnson won at third doubles.
Buffalo took five of the six matches in singles action, including four of those in straight sets. Koay overcame a first set loss at first singles as he won 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. Nittolo won 6-2, 6-1 at two and Vodak came away with a 6-2, 6-2 win at four.
The Bulls got a pair of wins from their freshmen in singles as well. Johnson won 6-2, 6-4 at five and Nickolas Frisk came away with an easy 6-1, 6-0 victory at sixth singles.
"I feel like we did an exceptional job keeping our foot on the accelerator through out singles and doubles," said head coach Lee Nickell. "Duquesne is a dangerous team and our guys came out ready to play. I am very pleased with our doubles and we look forward to keeping this momentum going forward during our next match with Cleveland State."
The Bulls will remain home when they host the Cleveland State Vikings next Sunday Feb. 25 at 1pm at the Miller Tennis Center.
- Petr Vodak/Vidit Vaghela (UB) def. Adam Blasinsky/Dane Bendel (DUQ), 6-2
- Hao Sheng Koay/Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Andrew Ong/Dominic Lea (DUQ), 6-2
- Matthew Johnson/Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Jared Issacs/Drew Akins (DUQ), 6-2
- Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Adam Blasinsky (DUQ), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Drew Akins (DUQ), 6-2, 6-1
- Jared Issacs (DUQ) def. Vidit Vaghela (UB), 6-2, 6-3
- Petr Vodak (UB) def. Andrew Ong (DUQ), 6-2, 6-2
- Matthew Johnson (UB) def. Dominic Lea (DUQ), 6-2, 6-4
- Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. Dane Bendel (DUQ), 6-1, 6-0