BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (6-7-5, 3-4-3 MAC) played to their third straight draw on Senior Day at UB Stadium on Sunday. The Bulls and Central Michigan CHippewas drew even, 1-1. Carissima Cutrona netted the lone UB goal as she has now notched a team-high 10 goals on the year.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Central Michigan 1 (2OT)
- Records: Buffalo (6-7-5, 3-4-3 MAC), Central Michigan (12-2-3,5-2-3 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Carissima Cutrona (10)
- Buffalo Assist: Andrea Niper (1)
- Central Michigan Goal Scorer: Eliza Van de Kerkhove (3)
- Central Michigan Assist: Jamie Rademacher (6), Alexis Pelafas (3)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 190
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Nicole Gerritz, Gurjeena Jandu, Angel Hart, Adrianna VanCuyck, Andrea Niper, Ashley Evans, Moira Petrie, Dana Lytle, Celina Carrero, Carissima Cutrona
- Central Michigan: Lauren Sherry, Savannah Beetcher, Eliza Van de Kerkhove, Samantha Maher, Madison Pogarch, Kaylin Hoomaian, Christen Chiesa, Alexis Pelafas, Kristin Knutson
How It Happened
- The Chippewas had the first chance to open the scoring in the sixth minute as Christen Chiesa saw her shot get blocked by the UB defense and then Eliza Van de kerkhove gathered the rebound and fired a shot over the cage.
- Buffalo was able to get their first chance of the match in the 23rd minute as senior Andrea Niper ripped a shot that just missed the lower right corner of the goal.
- In the 32nd minute, Julia Benati dribbled in and had a dangerous chance but her blast went soaring over the top of the cage.
- In the final minute of the opening half, Celina Carrero had a great chance to give UB the lead but her hard low shot was saved by a diving CMU keeper to send the teams to the locker room scoreless.
- After Adrianna VanCuyck forced a foul in the 53rd minute, Julia Benati sent the free kick into the box where Carissima Cutrona found the ball and took a shot that went high of the cage and out of play.
- Buffalo broke through with the first goal of the match in the 57th minute as Andrea Niper sent a great long pass into the box to Carissima Cutrona and she beat the keeper to the low left corner of the net for her 10th goal of the season.
- In the 70th minute, Central Michigan had a great chance to equalize the score but Madison Costner's shot just missed the upper right corner of the UB goal.
- Laura Dougall made a big stop in the 72nd minute as the leading scorer in the MAC, Alexis Pelafas ripped a long distance shot that Dougall grabbed.
- The Chippewas were able to get the equalizing goal with just 15 seconds remaining in the match as Jamie Rademacher crossed the corner into the box where Alexis Pelafas flicked the ball into Eliza Van de Kerkhove who beat Laura Dougall to the right corner to send the game to overtime.
- The Bulls held the majority of the play in the first overtime as they outshot the Chippewas 4-1. Freshman Adrianna VanCuyck had the best chance but her long blast was saved by the CMU keeper.
- Laura Dougall made her best stop of the match in the 102nd minute as Madison Pogarch headed the ball towards the right corner but Dougall made a diving stop to her left to protect the draw.
Inside The Numbers
- With the draw, the Bulls are now 23-1-5 at home over last three years under head coach Shawn Burke.
- Buffalo has now played to three straight draws and are 6-0-3 at home this season.
- The Bulls held the 20-12 edge in shots and the 10-1 advantage in corner kicks in the tie.
- Redshirt sophomore Carissima Cutrona netted her career-high 10th goal of the season in the draw.
- Senior Andrea Niper notched her first assist of the season in the draw for UB.
- Carissima Cutrona led all players with five shots while Julia Benati and Celina Carrero each notched three shots.
- Laura Dougall made three stops while Kristen Knutson finished with three saves in the draw.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected senior Angel Hart as the Player of the Match after another strong match defensively.
- Hofstra - Julia Benati
- #6 West Virginia – Meghan Simmons
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Binghamton – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Brown – Angel Hart
- Navy – Moira Petrie
- Canisius – Nicole Gerritz
- Ball State - Laura Dougall
- Miami (OH) - Andrea Niper
- Bowling Green – Gurjeena Jandu
- Toledo – Celina Carrero
- Ohio – Dana Lytle
- Kent State – Andrea Niper
- Western Michigan – Nicole Gerritz
- Northern Illinois – Andrea Niper
- Eastern Michigan – Moira Petrie
- Central Michigan – Angel Hart
The Bulls will return home on Thursday, October 27 at noon for their final regular season match as they welcome the Akron Zips to UB Stadium. Thursday will be the final match at UB Stadium for seven UB seniors, Isabella Borini, Cassie Betancourt, Ashley Evans, Dana Lytle, Celina Carrero, Angel Hart and Andrea Niper.