BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (0-0-0, 0-0-0 MAC) dropped their exhibition opener to the Cleveland State Vikings on Wednesday afternoon at UB Stadium by the score of 1-0. A total of 18 Buffalo players saw the field in the exhibition opener including six freshman who saw the field for the first time in their collegiate careers.
- Score: Buffalo 0, Cleveland State 1
- Cleveland State Goal Scorers: McKenna Vento
- Records: Buffalo (0-0-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Cleveland State (0-0-0, 0-0-0 Horizon)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 175
- The Short Story: With the game scoreless in the opening half, the Vikings broke through with the game-winning goal as McKenna Vento sent a wind-aided corner into the upper left corner of the net.
How It Happened
- The Vikings had the first scoring chance of the game in the sixth minute as Briana Niedermeier ripped a shot from distance that Laura Dougall was able to handle in the wind.
- UB was able to collect their first shot on goal of the half in the 22nd minute as Carissima Cutrona saw her hard low shot scooped up by the Vikings keeper Jamie Daniels.
- Cleveland State earned the 1-0 lead in the 31st minute as McKenna Vento sent a corner kick into the upper left corner of the net as the wind helped trick the Buffalo keeper.
- In the 44th minute, Kayla Hospodka had her first chance of the game but her hard shot went over the goal and out of play as the two teams headed to the locker room.
- UB came out of the locker room with a sense of urgency and it showed as Moira Petrie blasted a shot off the cross bar from 30 yards out after a great feed by Rebecca Bramble.
- Just under a minute later, freshman Marcy Barberic saw her right-footed blast ricochet off the cross bar and was cleared by the Cleveland State defense.
- In the 86th minute, Mairead Martin had a chance to tie the game but her shot was saved by the Vikings backup keeper Bridget Adams.
- Laura Dougall made a nice stop on Katie Bainbridge in the 87th minute to keep UB within one, 1-0.
- The Bulls final chance of the game came in the 90th minute as Gianna Yurchak got a shot off in a scrum in the front of the net but Adams blocked it away to preserve the Vikings 1-0 victory.
Inside The Numbers
- The Bulls saw 18 players touch the field including six freshman.
- UB outshot the Vikings 10-6 for the game including a 7-3 edge in the second half.
- Buffalo also held the 5-3 edge in corner kicks in the loss.
- Laura Dougall finished off her game with two saves while Bridget Adams finished with two saves off the bench for Cleveland State.
- Kara Daly led all UB players with two shots for the game while eight other Bulls collected at least one shot.
- The Bulls will return to the field for their final exhibition of the season on Sunday afternoon as they travel to take on the Niagara Purple Eagles. The match will kick off at 3:00 pm at Niagara Field.