CINCINNATI, OH – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (0-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC) battled hard on the road against a strong Cincinnati side on Friday night but a late second half goal lifted the Bearcats to the 1-0 victory in the season opener. Senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall had a huge game for the Bulls as she finished with 10 saves, including a couple massive saves from in close.
- Score: Buffalo 0, Cincinnati 1
- Records: Buffalo (0-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Cincinnati (1-0-0, 0-0-0 AAC)
- Cincinnati Goal Scorer: Sophie Gorman (1)
- Cincinnati Assist: Taylor Pavlika (1)
- Location: Gettler Stadium – Cincinnati, OH
- Attendance: 759
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Adrianna VanCuyck, Gurjeena Jandu, Meghan Simmons, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kara Daly, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Cincinnati: Madison Less, Julia Abbott, Sophie Gorman, Jordan Cotleur, Vanessa Gilles, Jaycie Brown, Kiki Lowell, Katy Couperus, Bri Costigan, Taylor Pavlika, Karli Royer
How It Happened
- The Bulls had the first chance of the game in the 10th minute as freshman Gianna Yurchak took a great feed from Meghan Simmons from the right flake and just missed the right corner of the net. Gurjeena Jandu played a great free kick to Simmons who found Yurchak but she wasn't able to finish it off, keeping the game scoreless.
- In the 15th minute, Cincinnati had their first scoring chance of the game as Taylor Pavlika had a long throw into the box where Julia Abbott fired a shot over the top of the net and out of play.
- The Bearcats had another dangerous chance in the 21st minute as Sophie Gorman ripped a shot just wide right of the goal.
- A minute later, Cincinnati had a would-be goal called back due to an offsides flag.
- Laura Dougall made her first save of the game in the 29th minute as Jordan Cotleur ripped a shot from 15 yards out that Dougall was able to scoop off the turf.
- The Bearcats kept the pressure on in the 34th minute but Katy Couperus watched her long distance shot just miss the top corner of the goal.
- In the 50th minute, Cincinnati had a dangerous opportunity on what looked to be an offsides as Jill Vetere headed a shot towards the goal but Dougall made a great stop to keep the game scoreless.
- Laura Dougall made a huge save in the 61st minute as Jordan Cotleur was in all along on the breakaway and the Buffalo keeper made a diving stop to her right to keep the game scoreless.
- Cincinnati had another great chance to break the tie in the 68th minute but Dougall stood tall once again and made a point blank save on Sophie Gorman from five yards out.
- The Bearcats broke through with the first goal of the game in the 70th minute as Taylor Pavlika sent a cross into the box where Sophie Gorman gathered and made a quick move on Dougall before burying the goal into the left corner.
- Buffalo had a dangerous chance in the 75th minute as Kara Daly streaked down the right side of the field and ripped a shot that was grabbed by a diving Cincinnati keeper.
- Laura Dougall was able to keep the score 1-0 in the 89th minute as she made a huge kick save on a redirection from Jordan Cotleur.
Inside The Numbers
- This marked the first game between the two programs in history.
- The Bearcats held the 26-4 edge in shots including the 10-1 edge in shots on goal.
- Cincinnati had the 4-1 advantage in corner kicks while the fouls were 11-9 in favor of UB.
- Senior Laura Dougall had a great match between the pipes as she finished with 10 saves, third time in her career she has notched double digit saves.
- Madison Less finished off her first collegiate clean sheet with one save.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected senior Laura Dougall as the Player of the Match after a great game in goal in the loss.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
The Bulls will return to the pitch next Saturday as they return to the state of Ohio to take on the Ohio State Buckeyes. The two sides will square off on Saturday, August 26 at 7:00 pm.