COLUMBUS, OH – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (0-2-0, 0-0-0 MAC) dropped their second straight road match on Saturday night at Ohio State, 3-0. Senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall made a career-high 12 saves in the loss for the Bulls.
- Score: Buffalo 0, Ohio State 3
- Records: Buffalo (0-2-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Ohio State (2-0-1, 0-0-0 Big Ten)
- Ohio State Goal Scorer: Eleanor Gabriel 2 (2), Alyssa Baumbick (1)
- Ohio State Assist: Morgan Wolcott (1), Arden Holden (2), Sammy Edwards (2), Riley Bowers (1)
- Location: Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium – Columbus, OH
- Attendance: 874
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Carley Zoccali, Gurjeena Jandu, Meghan Simmons, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kara Daly, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Ohio State: Devon Kerr, Nikki Walts, Arden Holden, Eleanor Gabriel, Izzy Rodriguez, Sarah Roberts, Marike Mousset, Sammy Edwards, Kylie Knight, Haley Walker-Robinson, Morgan Wolcott
How It Happened
- The Bulls controlled the tempo early on as they were able to notch three straight corners but they couldn't finish off the set piece chances.
- In the sixth minute, the Buckeyes got the first shot of the contest as Sammy Edwards ripped a shot off the corner kick but Laura Dougall stood tall and grabbed the hard shot.
- The Buckeyes opened the scoring in the 10th minute as Morgan Wolcott sent a great cross into the box where Eleanor Gabriel buried her first goal of the season into the lower left corner.
- Buffalo had a dangerous chance in the 20th minute as Carissima Cutrona made a pretty move to get free in the box but her hard low shot was blocked and cleared away to keep the score 1-0 in favor of Ohio State.
- In the 23rd minute, Ohio State had a chance to increase their lead but Morgan Wolcott's blast went just wide of the UB goal.
- Laura Dougall made a nice diving stop to her right in the 26th minute as Maddy Lowe got into a dangerous spot and ripped a low shot.
- In the 30th minute, Laura Dougall made another huge stop as she moved quickly to her right and made a save on a dangerous shot by Sammy Edwards.
- Gianna Yurchak was able to record the Bulls lone shot of the opening half as she headed a ball towards the open Ohio State goal but Devon Kerr was able to come away with the save.
- In the 51st minute, Laura Dougall came up with a pair of saves including a diving stop to her right to grab a low hard blast off the foot of Eleanor Gabriel.
- A couple minutes later, Eleanor Gabriel netted her second goal of the game to make it 2-0 in favor of the Buckeyes as she blasted a shot of the top of the box off the outstretched hands of Laura Dougall and into the lower left corner of the net.
- The Buckeyes made it 3-0 in the 55th minute as Riley Bowers sent a corner kick into the box where Alyssa Baumbick was able to find the loose ball and bury it in the left corner of the UB goal.
- Buffalo had their best chance of the match in the 62nd minute of play as Gianna Yurchak drew a foul just outside the box, giving the Bulls a free kick. On the ensuing free kick, Julia Benati ripped a shot that just went over the cross bar and out of play.
- The Buckeyes countered with another good chance in the 63rd minute but Laura Dougall made another diving stop to keep the score 3-0 in favor of the home side.
- Carley Zoccali had the Bulls final scoring chance in the 89th minute but her long shot attempt from the top of the box was saved by the Ohio State goalkeeper.
Inside The Numbers
- This meeting marked the first game between the two programs in history.
- The Buckeyes held the 26-5 edge in shots in the match and the 11-3 edge in corners.
- Carley Zoccali notched her second career start in the midfield for the Bulls.
- Laura Dougall finished off her night with a career-high 12 saves in the loss. The three goals allowed tied a career-high for Dougall.
- With another double digit save effort, Laura Dougall has now notched back-to-back games with 10+ saves for the first time in her UB career. She has now recorded double digit saves four times in her Buffalo career.
- Gianna Yurchak and Carley Zoccali led the Bulls with two shots apiece while Julia Benati had one shot in the loss.
- Ohio State goalkeeper Devon Kerr finished off her cleansheet with two saves.
Player of the Match
Buffalo will return to the pitch on Tuesday night as they travel to crosstown rival Canisius for a non-conference showdown. The Bulls and Golden Griffins will kick off at 7:00 pm at the Demske Sports Complex.