BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (0-3-0, 0-0-0 MAC) fell in the 98th minute to the Canisius Golden Griffins on Tuesday night, 2-1. After jumping out to the 1-0 lead in the fourth minute, the Bulls weren't able to hold on and collect their first win of the season.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Canisius 2 (OT)
- Records: Buffalo (0-3-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Canisius (2-1-0, 0-0-0 MAAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Carissima Cutrona (1)
- Buffalo Assist: Rebecca Bramble (1)
- Canisius Goal Scorers: Shauna Lee (1), Emily Porteous (1)
- Canisius Assist: Gretta Dry (1), Madeline Beaulieu (1)
- Location: Demske Sports Complex – Buffalo, NY
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Carley Zoccali, Gurjeena Jandu, Meghan Simmons, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kara Daly, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Canisius: Alana Rossi, Gretta Dry, Maggie Canitia, Emily Kuta, Shawna Adams, Maddie Good, Melanie Linsmair, Emily Czechowski, Madeline Beaulieu, Hope Gilchrist, Shauna Lee
How It Happened
- Buffalo was able to get on the board early in the first half as Carissima Cutrona netted her first of the season in the fourth minute as she chipped a shot over the keeper after a nice pass from Rebecca Bramble. The goal by Cutrona was the Bulls first of the season.
- In the eighth minute, Buffalo had another good chance but Gianna Yurchak saw her shot saved by the Griffs keeper.
- Three minutes later, Moira Petrie had a great chance to make it 2-0 but her shot was saved by Alana Rossi.
- In the 14th minute, the Griffs had a pair of shot attempts blocked and the Bulls were able to clear the ensuing corner attempt.
- Canisius had back-to-back shot attempts in the 24th minute but both attempts went wide of the UB goal.
- In the 35th minute, Carissima Cutrona had a shot to make it 2-0 but her attempt was saved by the Griffs keeper.
- In the final minute of the first half, Gurjeena Jandu had a header attempt that went just high of the cross bar, sending the two teams to the second half with UB leading 1-0.
- Julia Benati had a great chance to extend the Bulls lead in the 55th minute but she saw her shot saved by Alana Rossi.
- The Griffins tied the game, 1-1, in the 68th minute as Emily Porteous ripped a shot into the upper left corner of the net.
- After back and forth play, the Bulls had a chance in the 89th minute but Carley Zoccali saw her shot attempt saved, sending the game to overtime.
- After Laura Dougall made a save on the first shot of overtime in the 96th minute, the Griffs ended the game in the 98th minute as Shauna Lee buried the game-winner off the right post after a nice give and go with Madeline Beaulieu.
Inside The Numbers
- This meeting marked the 42nd matchup between the two programs in history with the Bulls now owning the dominant 27-11-4 edge over the Griffs.
- The goal for Carissima Cutrona marked the Bulls first goal of the season.
- Buffalo held the 17-11 edge in shots and the 7-4 edge in corners for the game.
- Julia Benati led the Bulls with four shots while Gianna Yurchak and Moira Petrie each notched three shots in the loss.
- Maddie Good led the Griffins with six shots in the win.
- Alana Rossi led the Griffins with five saves in the overtime win while Laura Dougall made one save in the loss.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Kara Daly as the player of the game after a strong showing in the loss at Canisius.
The Bulls will return to the pitch on Sunday night as they welcome the Youngstown State Penguins to UB Stadium for their first home match of the 2017 campaign. The Bulls and Penguins will kick off at 7:00 pm.