BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (1-3-0, 0-0-0 MAC) closed out their home opener in fashion as they exploded for five goals offensively in the dominant 5-0 victory over Youngstown State on Sunday night at UB Stadium. The five goals are the most in a game for the Bulls since October 15, 2004 when they beat Toledo 5-2.
- Score: Buffalo 5, Youngstown State 0
- Records: Buffalo (1-3-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Youngstown State (4-2-0, 0-0-0 Horizon)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Carissima Cutrona (2), Julia Benati (1), Kara Daly (1), Rachel Villalta (1)
- Buffalo Assist: Kara Daly (1), Carissima Cutrona (1), Sidney Reeves (1)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 325
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Carley Zoccali, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kara Daly, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Youngstown State: Kylee Moffett, Betty Anane, Rasheda Abdul-Rahman, Shani Jefferson, Sophie McFarland, Meghan Wallace, Alison Green, Marissa Martin, Madi Hughes, Courtney Lavin, Sammie Salatino
How It Happened
- The Penguins had the first shot of the match in the fifth minute as Marissa Martin ripped a shot right on goal where Laura Dougall made a nice stop.
- In the ninth minute, UB broke through with their first goal of the night as Julia Benati fed a ball into the box where the Penguins defender mistakenly knocked the ball into their net for the own goal.
- Kara Daly had a great chance to make it 2-0 in the 20th minute as she streaked in down the right sideline and ripped a shot that was poked out of play by the Youngstown State keeper.
- Freshman Kaitlyn Walsh had a great chance in the 26th minute but her right-footed shot just missed the upper right corner of the goal.
- Buffalo broke through with their second goal of the half in the 32nd minute as Kara Daly fed Carissima Cutrona who made a quick move and buried the ball into the lower left corner of the YSU net.
- The Bulls kept the pressure on and made it 3-0 in the 34th minute as Julia Benati snuck a free kick into the lower left corner of the goal past a diving keeper.
- Gurjeena Jandu was able to open the second half with a free kick that just went over the cross bar and out of play to keep the score 3-0 in favor of the Bulls.
- In the 57th minute, the Bulls were able to extend their lead out to 4-0 as Carissima Cutrona fed Kara Daly who buried her first career goal into the lower right corner of the net.
- After a number of UB scoring chances, Laura Dougall came up with a nice save on Marissa Martin as she took a shot from a dangerous place.
- Junior Rachel Villalta closed out the scoring in the 87th minute as she took a perfect cross from Sidney Reeves and buried her first career goal into the right corner of the net. The assist for Reeves was the first of her UB career.
Inside The Numbers
- With the win, UB improves to 25-1-6 at UB Stadium since head coach Shawn Burke became head coach in 2014.
- The 5-0 victory for the Bulls marked the most goals they have scored in a single game since October 15, 2004 when they beat Toledo 5-2 at home.
- The 5-0 cleansheet also marked the largest shutout for the Bulls since a 5-0 victory over Liberty on September 12, 1998.
- Sophomore Kara Daly had a career game for the Bulls as she netted her first goal, her first assist and her first multi-point game (three points) as a member of UB.
- Junior Rachel Villalta netted her first career goal for the Bulls.
- Junior Carissima Cutrona scored in her second straight match, marking the third time she has scored a goal in back-to-back games in her UB career.
- Buffalo held the 16-11 edge in shots and the 4-3 edge in corner kicks in the victory on Sunday.
- Julia Benati and Kara Daly each recorded three shots in the victory.
- Senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall made six saves in her 33rd career victory for the Bulls.
- Laura Dougall has now notched 28 career cleansheets, a program record, while ranking second in program history in wins with 33.
- Freshman Sidney Reeves picked up her first career point, an assist, on Rachel Villalta's goal.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Kara Daly as the Player of the Game for the second strasight game after she collected a goal and assist in the 5-0 win over Youngstown State.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
The Bulls will return home next weekend for a pair of non-conference matches as they welcome Cornell on Friday at 7:00 pm at UB Stadium. Fairleigh Dickinson will travel to Buffalo for a match on Sunday at 12:00 pm.