BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (1-4-0, 0-0-0 MAC) dropped a heartbreaker in overtime on Friday night at UB Stadium to the visiting Cornell Big Red by the score of 2-1. Freshman Kaitlyn Walsh netted her first career goal and notched three shots in the loss for the Bulls.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Cornell 2 (OT)
- Records: Buffalo (1-4-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Cornell (1-2-0, 0-0-0 IVY)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Kaitlyn Walsh (1)
- Buffalo Assist: Kara Daly (2)
- Cornell Goal Scorer: Shelby Wray (1), Kennedy Yearby (1)
- Cornell Assist: Meera Dheer (1), Jessica Ritchie (1)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 165
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Carley Zoccali, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kara Daly, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Cornell: Meghan Kennedy, Abby Adams, Kennedy Yearby, Jessica Ritchie, Juliana Comer, Paige DeLoach, Kaylee Fitzgerald, Katerina Weikert, Maddie Hoitink, Zoe McCormick, Meera Dheer
How It Happened
- The Big Red had the first scoring chance of the match in the third minute as Jessica Ritchie ripped a long distance shot over the cross bar.
- In the seventh minute, UB had a dangerous scoring chance as Carissima Cutrona wiggled free and ripped a hard shot towards the left corner of the net but the Cornell keeper made a great diving stop to keep the game scoreless.
- Moira Petrie had a great scoring chance in the 23rd minute but her hard shot was saved by the diving Cornell keeper to her right.
- Cornell pushed forward and had a scoring chance in the 26th minute but Katerina Weikert saw her left-footed saved by Laura Dougall who made a dive to her left to keep the game scoreless.
- The visitors took the 1-0 lead in the 35th minute as Meera Dheer sent a great cross into the box where Shelby Wray was able to head home her first goal of the season into the right corner of the net.
- Buffalo tried for the quick response in the 39th minute but Carissima Cutrona saw her low shot just miss the right corner of the net after a pretty feed from Gurjeena Jandu.
- It appeared the Bulls were going to get a penalty kick in the 50th minute but were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box instead after Carissima Cutrona was dragged down by the Cornell defender. On the ensuing free kick, Julia Benati ripped a shot towards the left corner of the goal but Meghan Kennedy made a diving stop to keep the score 1-0 in favor of the Big Red.
- In the 54th minute, Laura Dougall came up with a big save on Paige DeLoach as she broke free.
- Buffalo then netted the game-tying goal in the 55th minute as Kara Daly found a streaking Kaitlyn Walsh who beat the Cornell keeper to the lower left corner of the net for her first career goal. Daly notched her second assist of the season on the play.
- Kaitlyn Walsh had another dangerous chance in the 60th minute but her shot from in tight on the right flank was saved by the Cornell keeper.
- In the 75th minute, Julia Benati had a chance from 20 yards out but her shot went high and out of play to keep the game knotted, 1-1.
- Carissima Cutrona had a golden opportunity to give UB the win in the 83rd minute as she raced down the left side around a defender but her hard shot just missed the upper corner of the goal.
- Minutes later, Laura Dougall made a nice stop on Zoe McCormick to preserve the 1-1 score and send the teams to overtime.
- Laura Dougall was able to stop the first shot of overtime just over a minute in as she grabbed a Jessica Ritchie attempt.
- In the 93rd minute, the Big Red ended the match as Jessica Ritchie flicked a the ball to a streaking Kennedy Yearby who went in alone on Laura Dougall and beat the UB keeper to the right lower corner for the game-winner.
Inside The Numbers
- The Bulls held the 13-10 edge in shots and the 4-1 edge in corner kicks in the loss.
- The goal for Kaitlyn Walsh marked the first goal of her UB career.
- With an assist on Walsh's goal, sophomore Kara Daly now has a career-high two assists on the season. She has also posted back-to-back games with at least one point for the first time in her UB career.
- Junior Carissima Cutrona led all players with four shots while Kaitlyn Walsh and Kara Daly each recorded three shots.
- Senior Laura Dougall finished off her night with four saves while her counterpart Meghan Kennedy made five saves in her first win of the season.
- Jessica Ritchie led Cornell with two shots while eight other Big Red players notched one shot in the win.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Kaitlyn Walsh as the Player of the Game after she netted her first career goal and finished with three shots off the bench.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
The Bulls will return to the friendly confines of UB Stadium on Sunday afternoon as they welcome the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights for a non-conference match. First kick is set for 12:00 pm on Sunday in Buffalo.