BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (1-4-1, 0-0-0 MAC) saw their 2-0 lead disappear late in the second half as they battled the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights to a 2-2 draw on Sunday afternoon at UB Stadium. Gurjeena Jandu and Carissima Cutrona netted the goals for UB in their first draw of the season.
- Score: Buffalo 2, Fairleigh Dickinson 2 (2OT)
- Records: Buffalo (1-4-1, 0-0-0 MAC), Fairleigh Dickinson (2-5-1, 0-0-0 NEC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Gurjeena Jandu (1), Carissima Cutrona (3)
- Buffalo Assist: Julia Benati (1), Moira Petrie (1), Kara Daly (3)
- Fairleigh Dickinson Goal Scorer: Sofia Albertsson (2), Elma Kolenovic (1)
- Fairleigh Dickinson Assist: Stasi Torchia (1), Gabby Garcia (1)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 177
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Kaitlyn Walsh, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kara Daly, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Fairleigh Dickinson: Amanda Fitzgerald, Samantha Roff, Elma Kolenovic, Jessi Reinhardt, Jackson Bennett, Stasi Torchia, Dara Battistoni, Julia Shea, Sofia Albertsson, Viktorija Miseljic, Chloe Chefero
How It Happened
- The Knights notched the first shot of the match in the seventh minute as Daria Jones ripped a shot that went just wide of the UB goal.
- Buffalo was able to open the scoring in the ninth minute of play as Julia Benati took a feed from Moira Petrie and sent a great cross into the box where Gurjeena Jandu headed home her first career goal. Benati and Petrie collected their first assists of the season on the goal.
- The Knights tried responding with a goal of their own in the 17th minute but Daria Jones' shot just missed the left corner of the net.
- Carissima Cutrona had a great chance to make it 2-0 in the 28th minute but her hard shot went just wide right of the corner of the net.
- In the 38th minute, Rachel Villalta had a chance to score off of a Julia Benati corner but her shot was scooped up by the Fairleigh Dickinson keeper.
- The Bulls were able to extend their lead to 2-0 in the 56th minute of play as Kara Daly crossed a great ball into the box where Carissima Cutrona buried her third goal of the season into the left corner.
- The Knights wasted no time getting the goal back as Stasi Torchia sent a corner kick into the box where Sofia Albertsson headed home her second goal of the season.
- In the 61st minute, Carissima Cutrona received a pass from Mackenzie Allen but her left-footed shot was snagged by the FDU keeper.
- Carissima Cutrona had a great chance to extend the lead in the 67th minute as she streaked in alone but her shot dribbled just wide right of the corner of the goal.
- The Knights were able to break through with the game-tying goal in the 87th minute as Gabby Garcia sent a ball into the box and Elma Kolenovic headed home her first goal of the season.
- Buffalo had a great chance to win the game in the 93rd minute as Julia Benati ripped a shot that was saved by a diving keeper.
- In the 99th minute, Carissima Cutrona made a great move to get free but her low shot rang off the right post and was cleared by the Knights' defense.
- Kara Daly just missed the upper left corner of the net with a shot in the 105th minute as the two sides battled to a 2-2 draw.
Inside The Numbers
- With the tie, UB improves to 25-2-7 at UB Stadium since head coach Shawn Burke became head coach in 2014.
- Junior Carissima Cutrona now has collected 17 goals and 39 points in her UB career. Her 39 points rank 19th in program history.
- The goal for Gurjeena Jandu was her first of her UB career.
- With her assist on Carissima Cutrona's goal, Kara Daly has now notched a career-high three assists on the season. She has now notched an assist in a career-best three straight matches.
- Fairleigh Dickinson held the slim 20-19 edge in shots and the 8-6 edge in corners in the tie.
- Carissima Cutrona led all players with eight shots, four on goal, in the tie.
- Kaitlyn Walsh, Gurjeena Jandu and Julia Benati all had two shots in the game.
- Senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall finished off her match with five saves while her counterpart made six saves in the draw.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Gurjeena Jandu as the Player of the Match after netting her first goal of the season and playing a great game defensively in the draw.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
The Bulls will close out their non-conference slate on Friday night as they travel to Olean to take on Big 4 foe St. Bonaventure. Game time is set for 7:00 pm.