BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (3-4-1, 1-0-0 MAC) opened up Mid-American Conference play on Friday night in impressive fashion as they were able to blank the visiting Western Michigan Broncos in front of the home fans at UB Stadium, 2-0. With the win, senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall now owns program records for wins (35) and shutouts (30) over her illustrious four-year UB career.
- Score: Buffalo 2, Western Michigan 0
- Records: Buffalo (3-4-1, 1-0-0 MAC), Western Michigan (5-3-0, 0-1-0 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Carissima Cutrona (4), Julia Benati (3)
- Buffalo Assist: Kaitlyn Walsh (1), Rachel Villalta (1), Gianna Yurchak (2)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 621
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Meghan Simmons, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kara Daly, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Western Michigan: Stephanie Heber, Emma Kahn, Paige Dobbs, Grace Labadie, Colleen McKay, Roselyn Kyeame, Kendall Juhnke, Tiffany Buckler, Alex Ruffer, Alyssa Smith, Maria Jaramillo
How It Happened
- UB had the first shot of the match in the fifth minute as Carissima Cutrona saw her hard low shot attempt go just wide right of the cage.
- In the eighth minute, Julia Benati fed Moira Petrie just inside the 18-yard box but her hard shot was grabbed by the WMU keeper to keep the game scoreless.
- Julia Benati had a free kick from just outside the box in the 13th minute but her shot attempt was too high and soared out of play.
- Buffalo nearly took the 1-0 lead in the 19th minute as Julia Benati stole a pass and connected with Carissima Cutrona who saw her shot ring off the right post and was cleared out of trouble by the Broncos.
- Western Michigan had their first shot of the opening half in the 22nd minute as Emma Kahn ripped a shot towards the left corner of the net but Laura Dougall came across and made the diving stop to keep the game scoreless.
- In the 27th minute, Carissima Cutrona stole a Western Michigan pass and fed Gianna Yurchak in the box but her right-footed boot just missed the right corner of the goal.
- Western Michigan had a dangerous chance in the 40th minute as Alyssa Smith sent a shot towards the net that Laura Dougall poked away to keep the game knotted, 0-0.
- The Bulls took the 1-0 lead in the 44th minute as Kaitlyn Walsh made a great run and fed Rachel Villalta who crossed it into the box to Carissima Cutrona. The junior spun and ripped a laser into the left corner for her fourth goal of the season.
- The Bulls had a great chance to extend the lead in the 48th minute as Julia Benati fed Kaitlyn Walsh who was wide open running in on the keeper but she couldn't calm the bouncing ball as the Western keeper cleared it away.
- In the 66th minute, Gianna Yurchak had a strong chance to score but the Western Michigan keeper made a great stop diving to her right.
- Western Michigan nearly tied the match in the 78th minute but Laura Dougall made a huge stop on Grace Labadie to keep the score 1-0 in favor of the Bulls.
- After some back-and-forth play, the Bulls broke through with the second goal of the match in the 87th minute as Gianna Yurchak sent a cross into the box where Julia Benati gathered the ball and chipped a shot over the WMU keeper for her third goal of the season.
Inside The Numbers
- With the win, Buffalo improves to 26-2-7 at UB Stadium since Shawn Burke took over as head coach in 2014.
- Buffalo hasn't allowed a goal in 203 minutes of play. The Bulls have collected two straight cleansheets for the first time this season and three overall on the year.
- With the win in goal, senior Laura Dougall set the program record for wins in a career with 35 career victories. She also owns the program record for shutouts in a career with 30 cleansheets.
- Western Michigan held the 17-12 edge in shots and the 4-2 edge in corner kicks in the game.
- Junior Carissima Cutrona moved into a tie for 14th place on the Bulls all-time scoring charts with 43 career points. She is also 15th in program history with 17 career goals.
- The game-winning goal for Carissima Cutrona marked her first this season and the fifth of her UB career.
- Senior Julia Benati has now netted a goal in back-to-back games for the first time this season. She has also notched at least a point in three straight matches for the first time in her UB career.
- Freshman Kaitlyn Walsh and junior Rachel Villalta each collected their first career assists on Carissima Cutrona's game-winner.
- Carissima Cutrona led all players with five shots in the win while Gianna Yurchak notched a career-high three shots.
- Laura Dougall finished off the win with four saves while her counterpart Stephanie Heber finished with three in the loss.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Adrianna VanCuyck as the Player of the Match after playing strong defensively all game long. VanCuyck helped UB earn their second straight cleansheet and third of the season.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Western Michigan – Adrianna VanCuyck
The Bulls will return home on Sunday for another MAC match as they welcome the Northern Illinois Huskies to UB Stadium. First kick is set for 12:00 pm on Sunday.