BOWLING GREEN, OH – The Bowling Green Falcons erased a two-goal deficit on Friday night to collect the 3-2 victory over the University at Buffalo women's soccer team (5-7-2, 3-3-1 MAC). Buffalo collected the first two goals of the match before Skylar Fleak took over the match and scored three second half goals to seal the win for the Falcons.
- Score: Buffalo 2, Bowling Green 3
- Records: Buffalo (5-7-2, 3-3-1 MAC), Bowling Green (9-5-0, 4-3-0 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Julia Benati (5), Gianna Yurchak (2)
- Buffalo Assist: Marcy Barberic (2), Gurjeena Jandu (2)
- Bowling Green Goal Scorer: Skylar Fleak 3 (11)
- Bowling Green Assist: Madison Schupbach 2 (5), Marissa Swindell (4)
- Location: Cochrane Field – Bowling Green, OH
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Meghan Simmons, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Carley Zoccali, Kaitlyn Walsh, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Bowling Green: Victoria Cope, Erica Hubert, Madison Schupbach, Jennifer Reyes, Nikhita Jacob, Alexis Fricke, Rachel Winters, Kristin Tveit, Paige Castro, Morgan Abbitt, Elisa Baeron
How It Happened
- Bowling Green was able to collect the first shot of the match in the fifth minute as Erica Hubert ripped a shot that was saved by Laura Dougall.
- Carissima Cutrona had the Bulls first shot of the match in the eighth minute but Victoria Cope was up to the challenge as she made the stop.
- In the 14th minute, Madison Schupbach had a scoring chance but her shot was stopped by Laura Dougall, keeping the game scoreless.
- After a couple of chances either way, Carley Zoccali had a chance to open the scoring but Victoria Cope made a strong save.
- In the 34th minute, the Bulls finally broke through with a goal to take the 1-0 lead. Senior Julia Benati took a feed from Marcy Barberic and beat Victoria Cope for her fifth goal of the season.
- Carissima Cutrona finished off the half in the 44th minute with a strong scoring chance that went just wide of the net, sending the match to halftime with UB leading 1-0.
- The Falcons had the first scoring chance of the second half in the 52nd minute as Madison Schupbach saw her attempt saved by Laura Dougall.
- In the 60th minute, Gianna Yurchak made the score 2-0 in favor of the Bulls as she was able to beat Victoria Cope to the right corner of the net for her second career goal. Gurjeena Jandu eanred her second assist of the season on Yurchak's goal.
- 20 seconds after the UB goal, Bowling Green was awarded a penalty kick but on the ensuing opportunity, Laura Dougall made a huge save on Rachel Winters to keep the score 2-0 in favor of UB.
- Just over two minutes after the penalty kick, the Falcons were able to get on the board with their first goal of the match as Skylar Fleak finished off her first goal of the night after a pass from Madison Schupbach.
- In the 73rd minute, Julia Benati nearly made the score 3-1 in favor of the Bulls but her hard shot rang off the cross bar and was cleared away by the Falcons.
- On the ensuing counter attack, the Falcons tied the match, 2-2, as Skylar Fleak netted her second goal of the match after a pass from Marissa Swindell.
- The Falcons were able to earn back-to-back corners in the 83rd minute and they produced the game-winning goal on the second corner. Madison Schupbach sent a perfect corner into the box where Skylar Fleak finished off her hat-trick with the header goal to give Bowling Green the 3-2 win.
- Buffalo had three chances in the final minute to tie the match but Carissima Cutrona and Carley Zoccali ripped shots wide while Julia Benati saw her attempt blocked by the Bowling Green defense.
Inside The Numbers
- For the match, Bowling Green held the 21-12 edge in shots and the 6-2 edge in corner kicks.
- Senior Julia Benati netted her team-leading fifth goal of the season, moving into a tie for 16th place on the Bulls all-time scoring charts with 16 career goals. She also moved into a tie for 16th on the all-time points list with 42 career points for the Bulls.
- Freshman Gianna Yurchak netted her second career goal in the loss. She has now netted a goal in two of the last three matches for the Bulls.
- Carissima Cutrona led all UB players with four shots while Julia Benati finished off her match with three in the loss.
- Skylar Fleak led all players with seven shots while netting three goals in the win over the Bulls.
- Laura Dougall made seven saves while allowing three goals in the loss. Victoria Cope finished off the win for the Falcons with three saves.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Julia Benati as the Player of the Match after netting a goal on three shots in the loss at Bowling Green.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Western Michigan – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Northern Illinois – Julia Benati
- Eastern Michigan – Moira Petrie
- Central Michigan – Laura Dougall
- Ohio – Julia Benati
- Kent State – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Bowling Green – Julia Benati
What They Are Saying
- Head coach Shawn Burke: "This was the second game this season that we've lost after leading 2-0. We had too many players looking for someone else to do it for them. We will see what we are made of now. We will have to fight to secure a top-8 spot down the stretch."
The Bulls will stay on the road on Sunday for a MAC showdown with the Toledo Rockets at the Scott Park Soccer Complex. First kick is set for 1:00 pm on Sunday in Toledo.