TOLEDO, OH – After a disappointing loss on Friday night, the University at Buffalo women's soccer team (5-7-2, 3-3-1 MAC) earned a gritty road victory on Sunday afternoon at Scott Park against the Toledo Rockets, 1-0. Carissima Cutrona netted the game-winner for the Bulls in the 59th minute, her team-leading sixth goal and third game-winner this season.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Toledo 0
- Records: Buffalo (6-7-2, 4-3-1 MAC), Toledo (7-6-3, 4-2-2 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Carissima Cutrona (6)
- Buffalo Assist: Julia Benati (3)
- Location: Scott Park Soccer Complex – Toledo, OH
- Attendance: 101
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Meghan Simmons, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Carley Zoccali, Kaitlyn Walsh, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Toledo: Madison Perrin, Christina Williams, Hannah Scafaria, Regan Price, Isa Echeverri, Rachel Topolewski, Alena Sidwell, Alexis Burdick, Abby Dembroski, Chiara Paradiso, Sophie Pohl
How It Happened
- Julia Benati had the first scoring chance of the match in the third minute but she saw her hard shot go just high of the Toledo net.
- The Rockets had a good scoring chance in the eighth minute but Regan Price's shot was saved by Laura Dougall.
- Buffalo had an array of chances over the next eight minutes but Rebecca Bramble and Marcy Barberic saw their shots saved while Julia Benati and Gurjeena Jandu ripped shots wide of the cage.
- In the 33rd minute, Rachel Villalta notched her first shot of the match but Madison Perrin made a strong save on the effort.
- Toledo had a scoring chance in the 42nd minute but Laura Dougall made the stop, sending the match to halftime scoreless.
- Buffalo came out quick in the second half and got on the board. Julia Benati found Carissima Cutrona who finished off her team-leading sixth goal of the season in the 59th minute.
- The Rockets tried responding quickly in the 61st minute but Alena Sidwell ripped a shot wide of the Buffalo net.
- In the 71st minute, Julia Benati had a dangerous chance but her shot was stopped by the Toledo goalkeeper, keeping the match 1-0 in favor of Buffalo.
- Hannah Sacafaria had a chance to tie the match in the 81st minute but Laura Dougall stood tall and made another stop to keep the Rockets off the board.
- The final chance of the match for the Rockets came in the 89th minute as Chiara Paradiso was able to break free and rip a shot that was saved by Laura Dougall, preserving her fifth shutout of the season.
Inside The Numbers
- With the win, the Bulls improved to 4-4-1 on the road this season including 4-1-1 over their last six matches away from home.
- The two teams were tied 11-11 in shots and 2-2 in corners in the game.
- Junior Carissima Cutrona netted her team-leading sixth goal of the season in the win. With the goal, Cutrona moved into 13th place on the all-time scoring charts with 19 career goals. She also moved into 13th place in career points with 48.
- Senior Julia Benati earned an assist on Cutrona's game-winner, tying her career-high for assists in a season with three. The senior now ranks 15th in program history in career points (45) and 15th in career assists (11).
- Senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall finished off her fifth clean sheet of the season with five saves. She has now notched 37 career victories and 32 career clean sheets, both program records.
- Julia Benati led all UB players with four shots while Carissima Cutrona chipped in with two in the victory.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Carissima Cutrona as the Player of the Match after netting the game-winning goal for the Bulls.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Western Michigan – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Northern Illinois – Julia Benati
- Eastern Michigan – Moira Petrie
- Central Michigan – Laura Dougall
- Ohio – Julia Benati
- Kent State – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Bowling Green – Julia Benati
- Toledo – Carissima Cutrona
What They Are Saying
- Head coach Shawn Burke: "The girls battled out a tough win today. At times, we make it so hard on ourselves but we were able to gut out the victory. Our two captains stepped up with the goal and our group sacrificed late to preserve the shutout."
Buffalo will return home for their final two home regular season matches of the season next weekend. UB will welcome the Ball State Cardinals on Thursday night at 7:00 pm before welcoming the Miami (OH) RedHawks on Sunday at noon for Senior Day at UB Stadium.