BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (6-8-2, 4-4-1 MAC) was able to tie the game, 1-1, late in the second half on Thursday night at UB Stadium but it wasn't enough as they were defeated by Ball State, 2-1. During the match, senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall was able to set the all-time MAC record for minutes played by a goalkeeper as she has now appeared in 7,109 minutes in a Buffalo jersey.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Ball State 2
- Records: Buffalo (6-8-2, 4-4-1 MAC), Ball State (9-6-2, 7-1-1 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Julia Benati (6)
- Ball State Goal Scorer: Yela Ziswiler 2 (2)
- Ball State Assists: Sam Mattlin (1), Allison Abbe (6)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 171
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Meghan Simmons, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Carley Zoccali, Kaitlyn Walsh, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Ball State: Tristin Stuteville, Lauren Roll, Lucy Walton, Paula Guerrero, Allison Abbe, Taylor Pooley, Evie Stepaniak, Sam Mattlin, Julia Elvbo, Yela Ziswiler, Nicky Potts
How It Happened
- The Bulls had the first dangerous chance of the match as Carissima Cutrona put the ball towards the goal where Gianna Yurchak got a foot on the ball but it was cleared away.
- In the ninth minute, Lucy Walton put a ball on frame but Laura Dougall went down to a knee to make the save.
- Ball State almost made it 1-0 in the 14th minute by Julia Elvbo saw her header shot off the corner kick hit the post and was cleared out by the Buffalo defense.
- In the 23rd minute, Carissima Cutrona just missed the upper left corner of the net with a header attempt after a great cross from Kaitlyn Walsh.
- Julia Benati drew a foul in the 31st minute and ripped a low hard on the ensuing free kick that was stopped.
- In the 40th minute, Emily Scott ripped a shot from distance that was scooped up by Laura Dougall to keep the match scoreless.
- The Cardinals broke through with the first goal of the match in the 42nd minute off of a corner kick. Sam Mattlin gathered the corner and ripped a shot off the post that bounced right back to Yela Ziswiler who deposited the goal into the upper right corner of the net.
- Buffalo came out strong in the second half as in the 50th minute, Julia Benati took a dangerous shot from the right of the keeper and forced her to make a diving stop to the right corner to keep the 1-0 lead.
- A minute later, Marcy Barberic crossed a great ball into the box where Kaitlyn Walsh saw her header grabbed by the Ball State keeper.
- In the 53rd minute, Marcy Barberic recovered a loose ball and took a shot from distance that went just over the cross bar and out of play to keep the score 1-0 in favor of Ball State.
- UB nearly knotted the match up in the 54th minute as Moira Petrie fed Julia Benati who took a shot that deflected off the keepers hand and then off the left goal post before being scooped up by the keeper on the line to prevent the goal.
- In the 58th minute, Marcy Barberic ripped a shot from distance that skimmed off the top of the cross bar and out of play.
- The Bulls finally were able to break through with the tying goal in the 77th minute of play as Julia Benati was dragged down inside the box, giving the Bulls the penalty kick opportunity. Benati calmly stepped to the penalty spot and beat the keeper to the left corner of the goal for her sixth of the season and second in three games.
- Ball State wasted no time regaining the lead as in the 79th minute Allison Abbe sent a corner kick into the box where Yela Ziswiler bodied home her second goal of the match to give the Cardinals the 2-1 lead.
- Buffalo tried pressing for the tying goal late but were held off the scoreboard as they fell 2-1 on Thursday night.
Inside The Numbers
- With the loss, the Bulls fall to 2-4-1 at UB Stadium this season.
- After playing 90 minutes in goal tonight, senior Laura Dougall became the all-time leader in minutes played in a career by a goalkeeper in MAC history as she has now played in 7,109 minutes in a Buffalo uniform.
- With her goal tonight, senior Julia Benati has tied a career-high with six goals on the season. She currently ranks 16th in career goals (19), 14th in career assists (12) and 15th in career points (46).
- For the match, the Bulls were able to hold the 14-12 edge in shots including a 10-4 second half lead. Ball State owned the 3-2 edge in corner kicks in the win.
- Tristin Stuteville made nine saves in the win while Laura Dougall was able to make five stops in the loss for the Bulls.
- Julia Benati was all over the field on Thursday as she recorded a game-high five shots, four on goal, in the loss.
- Carissima Cutrona and Marcy Barberic each recorded three shots in the losing effort.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Western Michigan – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Northern Illinois – Julia Benati
- Eastern Michigan – Moira Petrie
- Central Michigan – Laura Dougall
- Ohio – Julia Benati
- Kent State – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Bowling Green – Julia Benati
- Toledo – Carissima Cutrona
- Ball State – Julia Benati & Marcy Barberic
Buffalo will return to UB Stadium on Sunday afternoon as they welcome the Miami (OH) RedHawks for their final home regular season match. The Bulls and RedHawks will kick off at 12:00 pm. Prior to kick off, UB will be honoring three seniors, Julia Benati, Laura Dougall and Moira Petrie, as part of Senior Day.