ALBANY, NY – Behind some gritty defense and a pair of goals by senior Carissima Cutrona, the University at Buffalo women's soccer team (3-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC) notched their third straight win and clean sheet as they handed Albany the 2-0 loss on Sunday afternoon. The UB defense and freshman keeper Emily Kelly haven't allowed a goal in 328:40 minutes of action, the longest streak since 2014 when the Bulls set a program record as they didn't allow a goal for 482 minutes.
- Score: Buffalo 2, Albany 0
- Records: Buffalo (3-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Albany (3-3-0, 0-0-0 America East)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Carissima Cutrona 2 (3)
- Buffalo Assist: Kaitlyn Walsh (2), Katherine Camper (1)
- Location: Casey Stadium – Albany, NY
- Attendance: 135
- Buffalo: Emily Kelly, Rebecca Bramble, Gurjeena Jandu, Tess Ford, Abbey Callaghan, Hannah Callaghan, Kaitlyn Walsh, Adrianna VanCuyck, Gianna Yurchak, Marcy Barberic, Carissima Cutrona
- Albany: Andrea Leitner, Hailey Summers, Katie Gowing, Kimberly Dieroff, Savanah Courtney, Caroline Kopp, Chloe Argenziano, Meghan Cavanaugh, Gina Bracamonte, Jada Colbert, Claire Stackel
How It Happened
- After a slow start offensively for both sides, UB was able to notch the first shot of the match in the 19th minute as Carissima Cutrona took a hard shot that was blocked away by the Albany defense.
- The Great Danes finally got their first shot of the match in the 25th minute as Caroline Kopp ripped a shot from distance that went wide left of the UB goal.
- The Bulls were able to get on the board first in the 32nd minute of play as Carissima Cutrona took a feed from Kaitlyn Walsh and she buried her second goal in as many games.
- Albany came right back and looked to level the score but Emily Kelly was able to make a nice stop on a Mariah Williams shot in the 35th minute.
- In the 40th minute, Gurjeena Jandu had a solid chance for UB but her attempt went just high and out of play.
- The Great Danes came close to tying the game at one in the 42nd minute but Christina Cernuto saw her shot ring off the post and it was cleared away by the Bulls defense.
- Albany was able to record the first two shots of the second half as Mariah Williams saw her shot sail wide of the goal and Meghan Cavanaugh's attempt went high of the Buffalo goal.
- After some back-and-forth play, the Bulls were able to break the game open and take the 2-0 lead. Carissima Cutrona took a pass from Katherine Camper and ripped a blast into upper left corner of the net beating the diving keeper.
- In the 68th minute, Emily Kelly made a good stop as Christina Cernuto broke free and took a hard shot on goal.
- A couple minutes later, Marcy Barberic found some space and took a shot that was turned aside by the Albany keeper.
- In the 78th minute, Carissima Cutrona ripped a shot destined for the right corner but the Albany keeper made a great save and tipped the ball over the goal to preserve the 2-0 lead for the Bulls.
- In the 86th minute, the Great Danes had their final good scoring opportunity to try and get within one goal but Mariah Williams effort went just wide of the UB goal.
Inside The Numbers
- With the win, the Bulls are now 2-0-0 against the Great Danes in their all-time series.
- The Bulls haven't allowed a goal in 328:40 minutes of action, their longest shutout streak since 2014 when they set a program record, not allowing a goal for 482 minutes of game time.
- Albany was able to hold the 11-8 edge in shots and the 5-4 edge in corner kicks but the Bulls were able to secure their third straight road win.
- Senior Carissima Cutrona notched her first multi-goal game of the season as she now leads UB with three markers on the year. With her two goals, Cutrona also moved into a tie for eighth place on the Bulls all-time goals list with 23 career goals. She has also notched nine career game-winners for the Bulls.
- Kaitlyn Walsh picked up her second assist of the season on Cutrona's first goal while freshman Katherine Camper recorded her first career point, an assist, on Cutrona's second tally of the match.
- Freshman goalkeeper Emily Kelly finished off her third career clean sheet with four saves.
- Senior Carissima Cutrona notched a game-high four shots including three on goal while defender Gurjeena Jandu recorded two shots of her own in the win.
- Mariah Williams led the Great Danes with four shots in the loss while keeper Andrea Leitner finished with two saves.
- Head coach Shawn Burke: "We've stressed resiliency and energy all season and both were very evident today. Our players found a way all weekend to get the job done. Four goals for and zero against on the road says a lot about the character of this group."
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected senior Carissima Cutrona as the Player of the Match after she netted both goals in the Bulls' 2-0 road win over Albany.
- St. John's – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Youngstown State – Gurjeena Jandu
- Cornell – Hannah Callaghan
- Albany – Carissima Cutrona
Buffalo will return home on Thursday night for their home opener at UB Stadium as they welcome local rival Canisius for a non-conference tilt at 7:00 pm.