BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (8-2-0, 2-1-0 MAC) used a goal just 19 seconds into the match and another in the 82nd minute to defeat the visiting Central Michigan Chippewas on Friday night at UB Stadium. With the win, the Bulls improved to 4-0 at home this season and are now 31-5-7 overall at UB Stadium since 2014.
- Score: Buffalo 2, Central Michigan 0
- Records: Buffalo (8-2-0, 2-1-0 MAC), Central Michigan (4-7-0, 2-1-0 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorers: Carissima Cutrona (7), Adrianna VanCuyck (2)
- Buffalo Assists: Marcy Barberic (5), Carissima Cutrona (8), Carley Zoccali (1)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 365
- Buffalo: Emily Kelly, Rebecca Bramble, Gurjeena Jandu, Tess Ford, Adrianna VanCuyck, Hannah Callaghan, Andrea Judasz, Kaitlyn Walsh, Gianna Yurchak, Marcy Barberic, Carissima Cutrona
- Central Michigan: Brianna Wallbridge, Lexi Pelafas, Sarah Mitchell, Marle Bringard, Abby Willerer, Mary Carlson, Shannon Magnan, Madison Costner, Maria Kaschalk, Riley Mann, Amanda Britian
How It Happened
- The Bulls were able to net the first goal of the match just 19 seconds into play as Marcy Barberic stole a clearance pass and found Carissima Cutrona who beat the Central Michigan keeper to the left post for her seventh goal of the season.
- In the 22nd minute, Marcy Barberic raced in and took a hard high shot that was grabbed by the Chippewas keeper.
- Gianna Yurchak had a great chance in the 27th minute as the cross came in but her one-time shot was grabbed by the keeper.
- Sheila Magnan had a good chance in the 29th minute but her shot from distance was grabbed by Emily Kelly to keep the score 1-0 in favor of the Bulls.
- In the 44th minute Carissima Cutrona headed a cross from Rebecca Bramble towards the upper corner of the goal but the keeper made a great save.
- Taylor Caridi had a golden opportunity to give UB the 2-0 lead as she took a feed from Carissima Cutrona but her hard low shot just missed the lower right corner of the net.
- Emily Kelly made a great point-blank stop in the 44th minute as Natalie Belsito took a shot from in close but Kelly made the quick reaction save and punched the ball out of harms way.
- In the 57th minute, Marcy Barberic raced down the left sideline and fed Carissima Cutrona who just missed the upper part of the goal.
- In the 66th minute, the Chippewas had a great scoring chance as Lexi Pelafas took dangerous shot that Emily Kelly poked into the cross bar and the Bulls cleared the ball away to keep the 1-0 lead.
- Emily Kelly made another diving stop in the 70th minute to help preserve the clean sheet.
- In the 80th minute, Carley Zoccali took a hard low shot that was scooped up by the CMU keeper as she dove to her left.
- The Bulls were able to put the game away in the 82nd minute on a pretty play that started with Carissima Cutrona. The senior found Carley Zoccali with a through ball and she fed a perfect ball to the feet of Adrianna VanCuyck down the left side of the goal and she buried her second goal of the season inside the left post to give the Bulls the 2-0 edge.
- The UB defense locked in over the final eight minutes and prevented the Chippewas from notching another shot as they secured the 2-0 cleansheet.
Inside The Numbers
- This meeting marked the 25th match between the two sides with the Chippewas owning the 13-7-5 record against the Bulls but UB improved to 4-1-2 against CMU under head coach Shawn Burke.
- Since head coach Shawn Burke took over the program prior to the 2014 campaign, the Bulls own a 31-5-7 record inside UB Stadium including a perfect 4-0 record this season on their home turf.
- Carissima Cutrona picked up a goal and an assist in the win, her seventh multi-point game of the season. She has now recorded seven goals, a career-high eight assists and a career-best 22 points on the season through 10 matches.
- Carissima Cutrona now has 18 career assists which ranks fifth in school history while her 27 career goals is good for seventh place on the all-time scoring charts.
- Junior Adrianna VanCuyck collected her second goal of the season as she now has a career-high four points on the year.
- Junior Carley Zoccali picked up her first career assist on VanCuyck's goal in the 82nd minute.
- Sophomore Marcy Barberic notched the lone assist on Cutrona's game-winning goal as she now has a career-high five assists on the year including four in her last four matches.
- Freshman goalkeeper Emily Kelly notched her fifth clean sheet of the season as she is now ninth on the Bulls all-time shutouts list for a single season. She also earned her eighth win of the season which ranks 10th in school history for wins in a season by a goalkeeper.
- For the match, Buffalo held the 12-9 edge while the Chippewas held the 2-1 edge in corner kicks.
- Emily Kelly had a strong night in goal for UB as she made seven saves while her counterpart Brianna Wallbridge made five in the loss.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Carissima Cutrona as the Player of the Match after she netted the game-winning goal just 19 seconds into the match and also collected an assist on the Bulls' second goal of the night.
- St. John's – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Youngstown State – Gurjeena Jandu
- Cornell – Hannah Callaghan
- Albany – Carissima Cutrona
- Canisius – Gianna Yurchak
- St. Francis (PA) – Adrianna VanCuyck
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Northern Illinois – Mairead Martin
- Western Michigan – Hannah Callaghan
- Central Michigan – Carissima Cutrona
Buffalo will close out the weekend with another MAC match on Sunday afternoon as they welcome the Eastern Michigan Eagles to UB Stadium at 12:00 pm.