ITHACA, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team split its road trip this weekend, coming back from a tough loss last night to defeat Maryland-Baltimore County on Saturday, 4-3. Just like last evening, the two teams split the six singles matches, but UB was able to come away with the doubles point and improve to 2-1 on the year.
UMBC won the first match as they were victorious at second doubles, but UB quickly answered as the senior duo of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas won at first doubles, 6-2. The Bulls snapped the the tie at third doubles as Anamaria Candanoza and Margarita Kotok came away with a 6-3 win to give Buffalo the 1-0 edge in the match.
The Bulls struck first in singles as Kotok won her match easily at fourth singles, 6-4, 6-2. The Bulls then took a commanding 3-0 lead in the match as Shah won at first singles, 6-0, 6-3. Victories by UMBC at third and sixth singles pulled it within 3-2, but junior Laura Fernandez clinched the match with a 6-7 (6), 6-2, 10-8 win at fifth singles. UMBC won the final match at second singles after a long tiebreaker set in the third.
The Bulls will be off next weekend before hosting a pair of matches during the weekend of Feb. 15. That begins with a match against Duquesne on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 pm.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Olga Baikulova/Mariami Dolashvili (UMBC), 6-2
3. Anamaria Candanoza/Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Madlena Kurasz/Isabel Aldunate (UMBC), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Kim Berghaus (UMBC), 6-0, 6-3
2. Olga Baikulova (UMBC) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 6-4, 4-6, 11-9
3. Mariami Dolashvili (UMBC) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
4. Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Isabel Aldunate (UMBC), 6-4, 6-2
5. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Madlena Kurasz (UMBC), 6-7 (6), 6-2, 10-8
6. Josefin Strange-Jonsson (UMBC) def. Laura Holterbosch (UB), 2-6, 6-3, 10-2
Order of Finish: 4,1,6,3,5,2