WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team completed their second straight 7-0 sweep this weekend on Sunday as they defeated Niagara at the Miller Tennis Center. The victory was UB's third straight as they improve to 4-1 on the season.
UB had its work cut out for them in doubles as they needed a comeback at third doubles to take the point. After seniors Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas won at first doubles, 6-3, the Purple Eagles won at second doubles to set up a winner take all contest at third doubles. Freshmen Margarita Kotok and Laura Holterbosch had to overcome a 4-3 deficit as they won the final three games to take the match, 6-4, and give UB the 1-0 lead in the match.
The Bulls then swept their way through singles as they won all six matches in straight sets. Kotok was the first to finish with a 6-4, 6-0 victory at third singles and Podlas followed up with a 6-2, 6-1 win at second singles. Senior Anamaria Candanoza then won at fourth singles, 6-1, 6-1, which clinched that match for the Bulls. However, UB wasn't done yet as it wanted to complete the sweep. Shah won at first singles, 6-0, 6-3 and senior Marta Stoyanova won her contest at sixth singles, 6-4, 6-4. Junior Laura Fernandez was the final Bull on court and she won a second-set tiebreaker to take her match, 6-2, 7-6 (2).
"We faced two very different opponents this weekend, but we got solid results on both days," said head coach Kristen Ortman Maines. "We showed good discipline in both singles and doubles and worked for our wins."
The Bulls will be on the road next weekend as they travel to West Virginia on Saturday afternoon. The Bulls defeated the Mountaineers last season.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Sarah Hellstern/Paulia Velasquez (NIA), 6-3
2. Brooke Briseno/Maria Ortiz (NIA) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Laura Fernandez (UB), 6-3
3. Margarita Kotok/Laura Holterbosch (UB) def. Ashley Ta/Iva Celan (NIA), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def, Sarah Hellstern (NIA), 6-0, 6-3
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Ashley Ta (NIA), 6-2, 6-1
3. Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Iva Celan (NIA), 6-4, 6-0
4. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Brooke Briseno (NIA), 6-1, 6-1
5. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Maria Oritz (NIA), 6-2, 7-6 (2)
6. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Paulina Valasquez (NIA), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,2,4,1,6,5