MORGANTOWN, WV - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won its fourth straight match on Saturday afternoon as it defeated West Virginia of the Big 12, 5-2. The Bulls are now 5-1 on the season.
In doubles action, the Bulls picked up victories at the first two spots to claim the point. The Bulls first won at second doubles as Anamaria Candanoza and Marta Stoyanova took their match, 8-2. UB's number one team of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas also won their contest at first doubles by a score of 8-2, giving the Bulls a 1-0 lead in the contest.
In singles, the Bulls won four of the six contests, picking up the first victory at second singles as Podlas posted a 6-4, 6-1 victory. Shah followed at first singles with a 6-4, 6-4 win to put the Bulls up 3-0. After the Mountaineers claimed a win at fourth singles, UB clinched the match as Stoyanova won at sixth singles, taking the first set 6-0 and then leading in the second set 1-0 when her opponent retired. Freshman Margarita Kotok lost a tough three-set match at third singles, but junior Laura Fernandez won at fifth singles, 7-5, 3-6, 11-9.
"We played absolutely outstanding doubles today which gave us great momentum going into singles," said head coach Kristen Ortman Maines. "We were just the more disciplined team today especially given the slick court surface. The courts were extremely fast and we needed to have really early preparation and good footwork."
The Bulls will return home for a pair of matches this weekend beginning on Friday afternoon when they host Colgate at 1:00 pm.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Oana Manole/Kaja Mrgole (WVU), 8-2
2. Anamaria Candanoza/Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Ikttesh Chahal/Sophie Allen-Fisher (WVU), 8-2
3. Irinka Toidze/Vivian Tsui (WVU) led Margarita Kotok/Laura Holterbosch (UB), 5-4
Order of Finishi: 2,1
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Kaja Mrgole (WVU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Ikttesh Chahal, 6-4, 6-1
3. Oana Manole (WVU) def. Margarita Kotok (UB), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Vivian Tsui (WVU) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-3, 6-4
5. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Irinka Toidze (WVU), 7-5, 3-6, 11-9
6. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Sophie Allen-Fisher (WVU), 6-0, 1-0 ret.
Order of Finish: 2,1,4,6,3,5