Bulls Paste Colgate, 7-0
WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team improved to 6-1 on the season Friday afternoon as the Bulls swept past Colgate, 7-0. UB completed the sweep in fairly easy fashion, winning all three doubles contests and all six singles matches in straight sets.
In doubles action, the team of Marta Stoyanova and Anamaria Candanoza won at second doubles to begin the day, posting an 8-0 shutout. The number one team of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas followed up with an 8-1 victory, while the freshmen duo of Margarita Kotok and Laura Holterbosch won at third doubles, 8-6.
The Bulls continued their dominating effort into singles, winning all six matches in straight sets. Holterbosch kicked it off with a 6-0, 6-0 win at sixth singles, while Shah followed up with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at number one. Podlas then clinched the match for the Bulls with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at second singles. Stoyanova won her match at fifth singles easily, 6-2, 6-3, while Kotok won at third singles 6-1, 6-2. Junior Laura Fernandez completed the sweep at fourth singles as she came away with a 7-5, 6-1 victory.
"We played high percentage tennis today and were very disciplined in executing their strategy," said head coach Kristen Ortman Maines. "Tomorrow will be another opportunity to continue to play good disciplined tennis and get better before conference play begins."
The Bulls will host in-state rival Binghamton at 1:00pm at the Miller Tennis Center.
- Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Kelsey Shea/Alex Petrini (Colgate), 8-1
- Marta Stoyanova /Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Jennifer Ho/Kaelin Shea (Colgate), 8-0
- Margarita Kotok/Laura Holterbosch (UB) def. Kristie Woodbury/Katie Grant (Colgate), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
- Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Jennifer Ho (Colgate), 6-1, 6-0
- Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Kelsey Shea (Colgate), 6-0, 6-1
- Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Katie Grant (Colgate), 6-1, 6-2
- Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Kaelin Brittin (Colgate), 7-5, 6-1
- Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Kristie Woodbury (Colgate), 6-2, 6-3
- Laura Holterbosch (UB) def. Hannah Fleckstein (Colgate), 6-0 ,6-0
Order of Finish: 6,1,2,5,3,4