WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team completed a weekend sweep on Saturday afternoon as they defeated in-state rival Binghamton, 6-1, at the Miller Tennis Center. The victory is UB's sixth in a row and improves the Bulls to 7-1 on the season.
The Bulls won third doubles by default, needing just one victory at the top two spots for the doubles point. UB obliged by winning both matches. Marta Stoyanova and Anamaria Candanoza won first at second doubles with an 8-1 victory, clinching the point for UB. The Bulls then won at first doubles as the senior duo of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas won their match, 8-2.
In singles, UB took the sixth singles match by default giving it a 2-0 lead in the match. Junior Laura Fernandez, who was the last Bull to win on Friday, was the first to finish on Saturday as she won at fourth singles, 6-2, 6-3. Stoyanova then won her match at fifth singles, 6-2, 6-3, which clinched the match for UB. Shah won at first singles in three sets as did Podlas at second singles. Binghamton claimed its lone victory at third singles.
UB completes a three-match homestand next Saturday at 1:00 pm when it hosts ASA College.
Buffalo 6, Binghamton 1
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Agatha Ambrozy/Annie DiMuro (BU), 8-2
2. Marta Stoyanova/Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Katherine Medianik/Alexis Tashiro (BU), 8-1
3. Margarita Kotok/Laura Holterbosh (UB) won by default
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Alexis Tashiro (BU), 1-6, 6-4, 10-2
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Katherin Medianik (BU), 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
3. Annie DiMuro (BU) def. Margarita Kotok (UB), 2-6, 7-5, 10-6
4. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Agatha Ambrozy (BU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Shea Brodsky (BU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Laura Holterbosch (UB) won by default
Order of Finish: 4,5,1,3,2