Bulls Drop MAC Opener To Eastern Michigan, 4-3
WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team lost its Mid-American Conference opener on Friday afternoon, falling to Eastern Michigan, 4-3, at Miller Tennis Center. The loss drops the Bulls to 9-3 on the year.
UB got off to a great start, winning the doubles point as it got excellent play at both second and third doubles. The freshman duo of Margarita Kotok and Laura Holterbosch dominated their competition, winning 8-2, and at second doubles the team of Anamaria Candanoza and Marta Stoyanova won their match, 8-5, to clinch the point and put the Bulls up 1-0 in the match.
Singles was extremely competitive with Eastern Michigan coming out on top in four of the six matches. Wins at first and third singles gave the Eagles a 2-1 lead, but Candanoza took down her opponent at fifth singles, 6-4, 6-1 to even up the match. EMU retook the lead with a win at second singles, but the Bulls still had some fight left in them.
After dropping opening sets at fourth and sixth singles, UB won second sets in both matches to force a third set. Stoyanova had a third-set lead in her match, but Zsofia Biro from Eastern Michigan fought back late to win 7-5 and clinch the match for EMU. Junior Laura Fernandez held on to win her third set at fourth singles for the final 4-3 score.
The Bulls remain home tomorrow when they host Toledo at the Miller Tennis Center at 1:00 pm.
2. Anamaria Candanoza/Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Diana Davitaia/Maria Paula Ribero (EMU), 8-5
3. Laura Holterbosch/Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Mariya Toncheva/Zsofia Biro (EMU), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Klara Supejova (EMU) def. Tanvi Shah (UB), 6-3, 6-3
2. Diana Davitaia (EMU) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 7-5, 6-2
3. Nino Mebuke (EMU) def. Margarita Kotok (UB), 6-0, 6-4
4. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Daphne Freidrichs (EMU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Zsofia Biro (EMU) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1,3,5,2,6,4