WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - For the second straight day, the University at Buffalo women's tennis team was locked in a battle, but today the Bulls prevailed with a 4-3 win over Toledo as the Bulls evened their MAC record to 1-1 and their overall mark to 10-3.
UB won the all important doubles point with victories at first and third doubles. After Toledo won at two, UB got a victory from its freshmen duo of Margarita Kotok and Laura Holterbosch, which made the point come down to first doubles. The senior pair of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas were up to the challenge as they won, 8-4, giving the Bulls a 1-0 lead.
The two teams split the six singles matches, with it all coming down to the very last contest. The Rockets tied the match up with a win at fifth singles, but Podlas put the Bulls back on the board with a 6-4, 1-6, 6-2 victory at two. Toledo tied it back up with a win at third singles, but Anamaria Candanoza on at sixth singles, 7-6 (6), 7-6, (3), to pull the Bulls ahead, 3-2. Toledo won at fourth singles, evening the match at 3-3 with it all coming down to number one.
Shah lost her first set, 6-4, but came back to win the second set, 6-3. Shah then dominated the third set, 6-1, giving the Bulls the victory.
UB will now hit the road for the first time in conference play as they head to Northern Illinois next Saturday afternoon for a 2:00 pm match.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Lexy Pitt/Emily Mazzola (UT), 8-3
2. Katelyn Nguyen/Pia Rygh (UT) def. Marta Stoyanova/Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 8-1
3. Margarita Kotok/Laura Holterbosch (UB) def. Lauren Thai/Mackenzie Bowman (UT), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Chrissy Coffman (UT), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Pia Rygh (UT), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
3. Katelyn Nguyen (UT) def. Laura Fernandez (UB), 6-4, 6-4
4. Emily Mazzola (UT) def. Margarita Kotok (UB), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Lexy Pitt (UT) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-3, 6-2
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Mackenzie Bowman (UT), 7-6 (6), 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish: 5,2,3,6,4,1