Bulls Down Miami For First Time Since 2008
WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's team defeated Miami (OH) for the first time since the 2008 MAC Tournament on Friday afternoon, downing the RedHawks, 5-2, at the Miller Tennis Center. The victory improved the Bulls to 12-3 on the season and 3-1 in conference play.
UB fought its way back all afternoon, beginning early in doubles. The RedHawks won at second doubles, but then UB's freshman duo of Margarita Kotok and Laura Holterbosch overcame a 3-0 deficit to win at third doubles, 8-4. UB clinched the doubles point at one as Miranda Podlas and Tanvi Shah won a tiebreaker, 8-6. The Bulls have continued to win the doubles point in each of its four conference matches this year.
The Bulls fought their way to four victories in singles, winning three of those in three sets. The RedHawks won matches at second and third singles to take an early 2-1 lead in the match, but senior Anamaria Candanoza tied the match up at five with a 6-3, 6-4 victory. The match then remained tied at 2-2 for what seemed like an eternity, until the Bulls fought their way to three-set victories in the last three matches. Senior Marta Stoyanova overcame a first-set loss to win at six, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 to put the Bulls up 3-2 and then Kotok clinched the contest with a 6-2, 6-7 (7-5), 6-2 win at four. Shah won the final match of the night at first singles with a 6-2, 5-7, 7-5 victory for the final margin of victory.
"I loved our focus out there in both doubles and singles from the moment the match began to the moment we shook hands," said head coach Kristen Ortman Maines. "We were disciplined and smart out there and we made the most of our opportunities. This was a total team effort and I couldn't be more proud of this group."
The Bulls return home tomorrow for the final time in 2014 as they host Ball State at 1:00 pm at Miller Tennis Center. The Bulls will honor their four-member senior class prior to the match.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Christine Guerrazzi/Alix Thurman (MU), 8-7 (8-6)
2. Nimisha Mohan/Andrea Badileanu (MU) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Marta Stoyanova (UB), 8-1
3. Margarita Kotok/Laura Holterbosch (UB) def. Christina Raymond/Ramona Costea (MU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Nimisha Mohan (MU), 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
2. Andrea Badileanu (MU) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 6-0, inj withdrawl
3. Christina Raymond (MU) def. Laura Fernandez (UB), 6-1, 6-4
4. Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Christine Guerrazzi (MU), 6-2, 6-7 (7-5), 6-2
5. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Ramona Costea (MU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Ana Rajkovic (MU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,5,6,4,1