WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team moved to 2-0 on the season Friday with a 4-3 win over Detroit at the Miller Tennis Center.
UB took the doubles point to begin the day as they won at first doubles with the pair of Chantal Martinez Blanco and Anna Savchenko taking a 6-2 win. The Bulls clinched the point at third doubles as Laura Holterbosch and Haley Hollins won their match, 6-3.
The two teams split the six singles matches as it came down to the match at fifth singles. Sophomore Mercedes Losada Rubio picked up the first singles win as she defeated her opponent 6-1, 6-4 at second singles to give the Bulls the 2-0 lead. However, Detroit then won three straight matches at four, three, and six to take a 3-2 lead as the Bulls needed wins in the final two matches.
Martinez Blanco completed the straight sets win at first singles, 6-4, 6-3, which tied the match up at 3-3 and leaving just fifth singles on the court. Savchenko won her first set 7-5, but then dropped the second set 6-2, forcing a pivotal third set, which Savchenko came out winning 6-4, clinching the match for the Bulls.
UB will continue its homestand tomorrow when the Bulls host Big 12 foe West Virginia at Miller Tennis Center at 1:00 pm.
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Anna Savchenko (UB) def. Anna Davydova/Marie Maitrot (UDM), 6-2
- Iris Thioux/Nynke Van Der Goot (UDM) def. Emel Abibula/Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB), 6-4
- Laura Holterbosch/Haley Hollins (UB) def. Sara Mitrakovic/Pauline Van Herck (UDM), 6-3
Order of finish: 1,3,2
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Anna Davydova (UDM), 6-4, 6-3
- Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Pauline Van Herck (UDM), 6-1, 6-4
- Marie Maitrot (UDM) def. Emel Abibula (UB), 6-4, 6-3
- Iris Thioux (UDM) def. Laura Holterbosch (UB), 6-3, 6-3
- Anna Savchenko (UB) def. Nynke Van Der Goot (UDM), 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
- Ksenia Providokhina (UDM) def. Haley Hollins (UB), 7-6 (4), 6-2
Order of finish: 2,4,3,6,1,5