CHARLESTON, SC – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won the doubles point on Wednesday afternoon, but lost a tough 4-3 match to the College of Charleston. The Cougars picked up their 12th win of the season, while the Bulls fell to 6-4.
After Charleston won at first doubles, the Bulls took the next two matches to claim the early doubles point. At second doubles, Anna Savchenko and Chantal Martinez Blanco came away with a 6-4 victory and then at third doubles, Laura Holterbosch and Mercedes Losada Rubio came back for a 7-5 win.
The Cougars had the better of the Bulls in singles as they won four of the six matches to come back for the victory. The Bulls were able to take a 3-0 lead in the match as Tanja Stojanovska won 6-4, 6-1 at one and Emel Abibula won at fifth singles, 6-3 6-3. However, the College of Charleston followed with wins at four, two and six to tie the match up at 3-3.
Losada Rubio and Rachel McNeely were the last match on the court at third singles and the only match to go three sets. Losada Rubio won the first set 7-5 before McNeely took the second 6-3. In the third set, the two players exchanged wins in the first five games before McNeely went ahead 4-2. They then split the last four games, but Losada Rubio was unable to get the much needed break as she fell, 6-4.
The Bulls will remain in Charleston tomorrow when they face Charleston Southern at 2:00 pm. The Bulls will look to snap a nine-match winning streak for the Buccaneers, who are 9-1 on the season.
- Liza Fieldsend/Rachel McNeely (CofC) def. Tanja Stojanovska/Margarita Kotok (UB), 6-4
- Anna Savchenko/Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Mara Argyrious/Anastasia Palaska (CofC), 6-4
- Laura Holterbosch/Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Christi Woodson/Sarah Jane Jones (CofC), 7-5
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
- Tanja Stojanovska (UB) def. Christi Woodson (CofC), 6-4, 6-1
- Mara Argriou (CofC) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB), 6-1, 6-2
- Rachel McNeely (CofC) def. Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
- Anastasia Palaska (CofC) def. Anna Savchenko (UB), 6-4, 6-3
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Turner Yates (CofC), 6-3, 6-3
- Sarah Jane Jones (CofC) def. Sanjana Sudhir (UB), 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,5,4,2,6,3