MUNCIE, IN – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won its opening match at the MAC Tournament on Friday as the Bulls swept Western Michigan, 4-0, in the MAC Quarterfinals. With the win, the third-seeded Bulls will face #2 Akron tomorrow in the MAC Semifinals.
The Bulls took the doubles point with dominating wins at first and second doubles. UB first won at number two as sophomore Chantal Martinez Blanco and freshman Anna Savchenko shut out their opponent, 6-0. Buffalo then clinched the point at one as senior Margarita Kotok and junior Tanja Stojanovska won, 6-1.
Savchenko picked up the first singles victory for the Bulls as she won at five, 6-1, 6-2 and then sophomore Mercedes Losada Rubio won at four, 6-4, 6-3 to give the Bulls the 3-0 lead. Martinez Blanco was down early at second singles, but she came back to win the first set in a tiebreak, clinching the match for the Bulls with a 7-6 (3), 6-4 win.
Buffalo had also won first sets at one and three as freshman Emel Abibula was up 6-4, 6-5 in her match when it was halted. The two teams were in a third set at one and six as Sanjana Sundhir won the second set right before the match was stopped.
"We played outstanding in doubles today and that really set the tone for the entire match," said head coach Kristen Maines. "We played aggressive and everyone stepped up through out the lineup. That continued into singles and even though Western Michigan was tough, we showed that we wanted it more."
The Bulls will continue action at the MAC Tournament tomorrow in the semifinals against Akron at 2pm. The winner will face either Ball State or Miami (OH) on Sunday in the MAC Championship match.
- Tanja Stojanovska/Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Barbare Eristavi/Melina Lyubomirova (WMU) 6-1
- Anna Savchenko/Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Olivia Myers/Denise Azcui (WMU) 6-0
- Laura Holterbosch/Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) vs. Tracy Kuhle/Katja Fevralev (WMU) 4-3, unfinished
- Tanja Stojanovska (UB) vs. Melina Lyubomirova (WMU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-3, unfinished
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Olivia Myers (WMU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
- Emel Abibula (UB) vs. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) 6-4, 6-5, unfinished
- Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Barbare Eristavi (WMU) 6-4, 6-3
- Anna Savchenko (UB) def. Katja Fevralev (WMU) 6-1, 6-2
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) vs. Denise Azcui (WMU) 3-6, 6-3, unfinished