OCEANSIDE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won their first true road contest of the year on Saturday as the Bulls defeated Hofstra, 6-1.
For the third straight time this season, UB began the match by taking the doubles point. Buffalo's number one team of Chantal Martinez Blanco and Lolade Ogungbesan won 6-3, while the number two squad of Tanja Stojanovska and Anna Savchenko won 6-1. UB won at third doubles 6-2 as Arianna Paules Aldrey and Mercedes Losada Rubio came away with the win.
Buffalo took five of the six matches in singles, including four of those in straight sets. Martinez Blanco lost just two games at first singles, coming away with a 6-1, 6-1 win. Stojanovska went three sets at two, but came back after dropping the first to lose just one game in a 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 win.
Ogungbesan pitched the shut out at third singles with a 6-0, 6-0 victory and Losada Rubio defeated one of Hofstra's top players at fourth singles, 6-2, 6-0. Sophomore Emel Abibula won at fifth singles, 6-3, 6-1. Hofstra's lone win came at sixth singles, but Paules Aldrey did force a third-set tiebreaker in the match.
The Bulls will return home next Friday when they host Duquesne at the Miller Tennis Center at 1pm. It will be a joint dual meet with the UB men's tennis team.
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Sarah Catherine Herdon/Jasmine King (HOF), 6-3
- Tanja Stojanovska/Anna Savchenko (UB) def. Michal Kaplan/Disha Yellayi (HOF), 6-1
- Arianna Paules Aldrey/Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Ronia Dolabany/Alejandra Ruffini (HOF), 6-2
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Jasmine King (HOF), 6-1, 6-1
- Tanja Stojanovska (UB) def. Michal Kaplan (HOF), 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
- Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Sarah Catherine Herdon (HOF), 6-0, 6-0
- Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Alejandra Ruffini (HOF), 6-2, 6-0
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Odessa Stork (HOF), 6-3, 6-1
- Disha Yellayi (HOF) def. Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB), 6-1, 0-6, 10-7