CHARLESTON, SC – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team opened their Spring Break trip with their first ever win over the College of Charleston as they defeated the Cougars, 4-2. The win improves Buffalo to 6-3 on the season.
The two teams did not play doubles due to weather, so it came down to singles play where the Bulls took four of the six singles matches. Junior Chantal Martinez Blanco won at two with a 6-3, 6-2 win, while senior Lolade Ogungbesan came away with a 6-3, 6-4 win at three. The Cougars picked up a win at one, but the Bulls held on to the 2-1 lead.
The Bulls will continue Spring Break action on Monday afternoon when they face South Carolina State in Hilton Head, SC.
1. Helena Nyikos (CofC) def. Tanja Stojanovska (UB) ~ 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Christi Woodson (CofC) ~ 6-3, 6-2
3. Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Rachel McNeely (CofC) ~ 6-3, 6-4
4. Anastasia Palaska (CofC) def. Emel Abibula (UB) ~ 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
5. Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Catalina Medici (CofC) ~ 7-5, 6-4
6. Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB) def. Laura Arciniegas (CofC) ~ 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 5, 6*, 4
Doubles Were Not Played Due to Weather