YPSILANTI, MI – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won their sixth straight match and ended Eastern Michigan's nine-match winning streak with a hard-fought 4-3 road win on Sunday afternoon. Buffalo improves to 9-3 with the win and 2-0 in MAC play.
UB took the doubles point, which turned out to decide the match since the two teams split the six singles matches. Buffalo picked up an easy 6-1 win at first doubles as Chantal Martinez Blanco and Lolade Ogungbesan came away with the win. The Bulls also claimed a win at second doubles to clinch the point as sophomore Emel Abibula and junior Arianna Paules Aldrey won their match 6-4.
In singles action, Abibula was the only UB player to win in straight sets as she scored a 6-4, 6-2 victory at three. EMU then won in straight sets at six to pull within 2-1 in the match before Ogungbesan won at two, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4. Leading 3-1 in the match, the Bulls then clinched it at four as junior Sanjana Sudhir overcame a 6-4 loss in the opening set to win the final two sets, 6-4, 6-2, respectively.
The Eagles won the final two matches on the court with three set victories at one and five. The Bulls won the first set in both of those matches, but couldn't close either one out.
"We were tested today by a good Eastern Michigan squad," said head coach Kristen Maines. "We found a way to score the points when we needed to and hit the right shots when we needed to. I think as a group we know there is still room for improvement, but anytime you can win on the road in this league you will take it."
The Bulls remain on the road next weekend for a pair of matches beginning on Friday at 1pm at Miami (OH). UB will then face Bowling Green on Sunday.
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Ani Gogvadze/Marie Mayerova (EMU), 6-1
- Emel Abibula/Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB) def. Andrea Martinovska/Anna Veleva (EMU), 6-4
- Giuliana Ansaloni/Natalia Regalado (EMU) def. Sanjana Sudhir/Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB), 6-1
- Ani Gogvadze (EMU) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB), 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
- Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Marie Mayerova (EMU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Giuliana Ansaloni (EMU), 6-4, 6-2
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Andrea Martinovska (EMU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Natalia Regalado (EMU) def. Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Alejandra Barcelo Almoyna (EMU) def. Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB), 7-6 (5), 6-1