WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won their ninth straight match on Friday afternoon as the Bulls defeated Northern Illinois 6-1 at the Miller Tennis Center. The win improves the Bulls to 12-3 on the year and 5-0 in the MAC.
The Bulls began with a strong showing in doubles led by the number three team of Emel Abibula and Arianna Paules Aldrey, who won 6-3. Buffalo clinched the point following a 6-4 win at two from Tanja Stojanovska and Anna Savchenko.
Buffalo won five of the six matches in singles action, all coming in straight sets. Aldrey scored the first victory with an easy 6-0, 6-3 win at six. The Bulls then won at third singles as senior Lolade Ogungbesan won at third singles, 6-2, 6-2. UB clinched the match at second singles as Stojanovska won 6-1, 6-4, overcoming a break in the second set.
The Huskies won at fourth singles, but then UB closed out the match with wins at one and five. Junior Chantal Martinez Blanco won 6-2, 7-5, and junior Sanjana Sudhir wrapped up the afternoon with a 6-4, 6-3 win at five.
"I was happy with the final result and it was great to play back here at home after a tough road stretch," said head coach Kristen Maines. "It is important for us to continue this momentum into Sunday and the rest of the season."
The Bulls remain home this Sunday as they face Western Michigan at the Miller Tennis Center beginning at 12:30 pm.
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Lolade Ogunbesan (UB) led Thisuri Molligoda/Evelyn Youel (NIU), 5-4
- Tanja Stojanovska/Anna Savchenko (UB) def. Maria Potsi/Lara Slisko (NIU), 6-4
- Emel Abibula/Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB) def. Abigail Dekkinga/Brodie Walker (NIU), 6-3
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Thisuri Molligoda (NIU), 6-2, 7-5
- Tanja Stojanovska (UB) def. Maria Potsi (NIU), 6-1, 6-4
- Lolade Ogunbesan (UB) def. Abigail Dekkinga (NIU), 6-2, 6-2
- Brodie Walker (NIU) def. Emel Abibula (UB), 6-4, 6-4
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) vs. Evelyn Youel (NIU), 6-4, 6-3
- Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB) def. Lara Slisko (NIU), 6-0, 6-3