EVANSTON, IL – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team saw their season come to an end on Friday as the Bulls lost 4-0 to Northwestern in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. For the first time in school history, the Bulls won multiple sets in singles action, claiming a pair of first sets.
The Wildcats took the doubles point with a pair of 6-0 win at first and third doubles. At first doubles, Northwestern sported the #4 doubles team in the country. They also had the #37 doubles squad, but the Bulls were up for the challenge at second doubles as the squad of Tanja Stojanovska and Anna Savchenko were tied with them 3-3 when doubles action was stopped.
In singles play, Buffalo won two first sets, marking the first time since 2008 that a UB player had won a set in the NCAA Tournament. Sophomore Emel Abibula took her opening set 6-2 at fourth singles and was tied 3-3 in the second when play was stopped. Senior Lolade Ogungbesan won her opening set at third singles in a tiebreaker right before the match ended, putting a positive end to her collegiate career.
Northwestern won matches at one, two, and six in straight sets, clinching the contest.
"While we are upset at the outcome today, I couldn't be more proud of this group for all they accomplished this season," said head coach Kristen Maines. "This group set a new standard for Buffalo tennis and we look forward to continuing to build on this tradition."
The Bulls end the season with a 17-4 record, tying the school record for wins a season. Friday also marked the final collegiate match for Stojanovska and Ogungbesan.
- #4 Erin Larner/Maddie Lipp (NU) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco/Lolade Ogungbesan (BUFF) 6-0
- #37 Alex Chatt/Lee Or (NU) vs. Anna Savchenko/Tanja Stojanovska (BUFF) 3-3, unfinished
- Julie Byrne/Rheeya Doshi (NU) def. Arianna Paules Aldrey/Sanjana Sudhir (BUFF) 6-0
- #38 Erin Larner (NU) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco (BUFF) 6-0, 6-1
- #117 Lee Or (NU) def. Tanja Stojanovska (BUFF) 6-0, 6-3
- Lolade Ogungbesan (BUFF) led #78 Maddie Lipp (NU) 7-6 (8-6), unfinished
- Emel Abibula (BUFF) led Julie Byrne (NU) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
- Alex Chatt (NU) led Sanjana Sudhir (BUFF) 6-3, 5-0, unfinished
- Rheeya Doshi (NU) def. Arianna Paules Aldrey (BUFF) 6-1, 6-1