BUFFALO, NY – Behind Marcy Barberic's first career two-goal match, the University at Buffalo women's soccer team (5-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC) earned their fifth straight win and fourth clean sheet of the season on Sunday afternoon. The Bulls used three second half goals to run past the St. Francis (PA) Red Flash in front of the home fans inside UB Stadium.
- Score: Buffalo 3, St. Francis (PA) 0
- Records: Buffalo (5-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC), St. Francis (PA) (2-4-2, 0-0-0 NEC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Tess Ford (2), Marcy Barberic 2 (3)
- Buffalo Assist: Gurjeena Jandu (2), Carissima Cutrona 2 (6), Mairead Martin (1)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 231
- Buffalo: Emily Kelly, Rebecca Bramble, Gurjeena Jandu, Tess Ford, Abbey Callaghan, Hannah Callaghan, Katherine Camper, Adrianna VanCuyck, Gianna Yurchak, Marcy Barberic, Carissima Cutrona
- St. Francis (PA): Morgan O'Loughlin, Corinne Renninger, Yngara Pehoua-Dupervil, Mariana Jaleca, Shannon McGinnis, Aubrey Suydam, Abby Tarosky, Erica Carpenter, Alyssa McGhee, Sara Suler, Emilee Barnett
How It Happened
- Carissima Cutrona had the first scoring chance of the match in the third minute as Marcy Barberic stole a clearance pass by the St. Francis keeper and fed Cutrona who ripped a shot right into the arms of the keeper.
- In the sixth minute, Marcy Barberic had a dangerous shot that nearly tipped off Carissima Cutrona's head and went just wide of the left corner of the goal.
- The Red Flash had their first shot of the match in the eighth minute as Sara Suler made a sliding shot attempt that was stopped by Emily Kelly who went down to a knee to make the stop.
- In the 12th minute, Marcy Barberic had a great scoring chance as she was in along on the Red Flash keeper but her hard shot attempt was stopped by Morgan O'Loughlin.
- Carissima Cutrona had another great scoring chance in the 17th minute but her shot went right into the body of the keeper to keep the game scoreless.
- In the 22nd minute of play, Gianna Yurchak made a nice turn and took a hard low shot that was scooped up and stopped by the Red Flash keeper.
- In the final minute of action the Bulls had two good scoring chances as Gianna Yurchak and Abbey Callaghan each took shots from the top of the 18-yard box that went just wide of the goal as the teams went to halftime still scoreless.
- The Bulls had the first chance of the second half as Carissima Cutrona broke in and took a low shot that was scooped up by the Red Flash keeper in the 51st minute.
- Buffalo finally broke through with the first goal of the match in the 52nd minute as Gurjeena Jandu sent a corner kick into the box where Tess Ford collected the ball and buried her second goal of the season into the left corner.
- In the 54th minute, Buffalo extended their lead to 2-0 as Carissima Cutrona saw her shot attempt saved by the diving St. Francis keeper but Marcy Barberic found the rebound and netted her second goal of the season into the left corner.
- The Bulls nearly made it 3-0 in the 67th minute as Carissima Cutrona and Marcy Barberic had a pretty give-and-go play that resulted in Barberic ripping a shot that was stopped by the diving keeper.
- Emily Kelly made a great stop on a shot from distance in the 69th minute to keep the clean sheet going.
- Buffalo added to their lead in the 71st minute as Mairead Martin fed Carissima Cutrona who made a great through ball to Marcy Barberic who buried her second of the match.
- In the 80th minute, Sara Suler had a shot from distance that just went over the cross bar and out of play, keeping the score 3-0 in favor of UB.
- Emily Kelly made her best stop of the match in the 82nd minute as Alyssa McGhee took a shot that was destined for the upper corner of the net but Kelly jumped and poked the hard shot over the cross bar to preserve the clean sheet.
- Gianna Yurchak almost netted a goal in the 84th minute but her hard blast was poked over the bar by the St. Francis keeper.
Inside The Numbers
- With the win, the Bulls now own the 3-1-0 record against the Red Storm in the all-time series. The Bulls have outscored St. Francis (PA) 15-4 in the all-time series.
- Senior Carissima Cutrona finished off her match with two assists in the win. The senior now ranks seventh in program history with 62 career points. She also ranks 11th in school history with 16 career assists.
- The two-goal effort for Marcy Barberic was the first multi-goal game of her UB career and she has now netted a career-high three goals on the year.
- After her two assist game, Carissima Cutrona has recorded at least one point in each of the Bulls last five matches. She also has four multi-point efforts across the last five games.
- Mairead Martin notched her first career assist on Marcy Barberic's second goal of the match.
- Freshman goalkeeper Emily Kelly finished off her fourth clean sheet with six saves.
- Marcy Barberic led the Bulls with seven shots, five on goal, while Carissima Cutrona had five shots in the win.
- Morgan O'Loughlin finished off her afternoon with 11 saves for the Red Flash.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Adrianna VanCuyck as the Player of the Match after her strong play helped UB earn their fifth straight victory.
- St. John's – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Youngstown State – Gurjeena Jandu
- Cornell – Hannah Callaghan
- Albany – Carissima Cutrona
- Canisius – Gianna Yurchak
- St. Francis (PA) – Adrianna VanCuyck
The Bulls will stay at home for their final non-conference match of the season as they welcome Big 4 foe St. Bonaventure to Buffalo on Friday night at 7:00 pm.