MUNCIE, IN– The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (10-5-0, 4-4-0 MAC) closed out their regular season road schedule on Sunday afternoon with a 1-0 loss to Ball State. The Cardinals used an own goal by UB to notch their ninth win of the season.
- Score: Buffalo 0, Ball State 1
- Records: Buffalo (10-5-0, 4-4-0 MAC), Ball State (9-3-2, 5-2-1 MAC)
- Ball State Goal Scorer: Own goal
- Location: Briner Sports Complex – Muncie, IN
- Attendance: 188
- Buffalo: Emily Kelly, Rebecca Bramble, Gurjeena Jandu, Tess Ford, Carley Zoccali, Hannah Callaghan, Andrea Judasz, Kaitlyn Walsh, Gianna Yurchak, Marcy Barberic, Taylor Caridi
- Ball State: Tristin Stuteville, Amanda Shaw, Emily Simmons, Kerrigan Johnson, Paula Guerrero, Peighton Cook, Kennedy Metzger, Sammi Corcoran, Yela Ziswiler, Jenna Dombrowski, Tatiana Mason
How It Happened
- The Cardinals were able to notch the first shot of the game just over 30 seconds in as Jenna Dombrowski took a shot that was stopped by Emily Kelly.
- In the sixth minute, Marcy Barberic had a golden opportunity to open the scoring but her hard shot rang off the goal post and was cleared out of trouble by the Cardinals defense.
- Rebecca Bramble had a scoring chance in the 13th minute but her shot was snagged by the Ball State keeper.
- The Cardinals opened the scoring in the 22nd minute as they were awarded an own goal.
- In the 29th minute, Gurjeena Jandu sent a corner kick into the box where Kaitlyn Walsh found the loose ball and took a shot that was blocked away by the Cardinals defense to preserve the 1-0 lead.
- Emily Kelly made a nice stop on a Julia Elvbo header in the 34th minute to keep the score 1-0 in favor of Ball State.
- Meghan Simmons had the Bulls final scoring chance of the first half as she saw her long distance effort go just wide of the goal.
- The Cardinals were awarded a penalty kick in the 49th minute but Emily Kelly came up with a huge save on Lauren Roll's attempt.
- In the 51st minute, Gurjeena Jandu sent another corner into the box where Kaitlyn Walsh headed the ball just over the cross bar.
- Off of a free kick in the 62nd minute, Tess Ford got her head on the ball but Tristin Stuteville made a nice stop to help the Cardinals preserve the 1-0 lead.
- Gurjeena Jandu had the Bulls final scoring chance of the match in the 65th minute as she ripped a shot that was grabbed by the Ball State keeper.
- Ball State had their final shot attempt in the match in the 74th minute as they saw the shot go high and out of play as they earned the 1-0 victory.
Inside The Numbers
- For the match, Ball State held the 15-10 edge in shots and the 6-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Freshman goalkeeper Emily Kelly finished the game with six saves while her counterpart Tristin Stuteville made three stops in the win.
- Marcy Barberic and Kaitlyn Walsh led the Bulls with two shots each while Ball State had three players with three shots in the win.
- Associate Head Coach Casey Derkacz: "I'm upset for the team today because I thought the effort we put forth deserved a better result. We had a few golden opportunities to take the lead early on in this game, and those unfortunately turn out to be the difference in tight matches like these."
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Taylor Caridi as the Player of the Match after her strong performance in the loss.
- St. John's – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Youngstown State – Gurjeena Jandu
- Cornell – Hannah Callaghan
- Albany – Carissima Cutrona
- Canisius – Gianna Yurchak
- St. Francis (PA) – Adrianna VanCuyck
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Northern Illinois – Mairead Martin
- Western Michigan – Hannah Callaghan
- Central Michigan – Carissima Cutrona
- Eastern Michigan – Marcy Barberic
- Kent State – Sarah Bykowicz
- Miami (OH) – Gianna Yurchak
- Ball State – Taylor Caridi
Buffalo will return home for their final three matches of the regular season starting on Thursday night as they welcome the Toledo Rockets to UB Stadium for a 7:00 pm kick.